Why Can't I....With You?

I'm okay, just needed ideas. So I was just minding my business when BAM I got this idea.

Enjoy this one shot that is so very clearly an au.

(Oh, by the way, the 

...

Means POV change)

Mare sighed, pulled the gloves onto her hands and started scrubbing the floors.

Just like she had been doing since she stole from his pocket.

It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, the money brought her here—a nice, comfy yet modern studio.

Not at all like the man who's pocket she dug her hands in. No, he was a cold, detached human who murdered people for a living.

So what was she doing, cleaning, alive in his living quarters? As she scrubbed the linoleum, her mind wandered.

She was outside the local bar, taking money from drunkards for one sole purpose.

They needed to escape.

With the police—a corrupted, gang of burly men out for the blood of those who opposed the equally foul government—on their tail, she and her family had to come up with impossible money to buy their freedom.

As she reached into the coin purse of another person, he caught her hand, turned around, and pushed her against the wall in a forceful manner.

"Thief," he hissed.

She blinked. Never in her 13 years of pick-pocketing had anyone caught her.

She fought the urge to laugh. "Obviously."

The man scoffed, and spoke, "Stealing has consequences." With that, he pulled out a gun. "We wouldn't want to get our hands in another's pocket now, would we? Especially a potentially dangerous person."

Mare fought the urge to roll her eyes. "If you're going to kill me, just do it. I've got nothing to live for anyway."

His grip on her loosened a bit, but just enough for Mare to wriggle out and escape with the money.

A few weeks later, the police managed to catch up to her and her family, kill half of her family, and injured the ones who escaped the assault.

She had been caught by the man—Cal, she figured out the name within days—and brought into his apartment for her punishment.

He threatened to use the gun on her, but a few months passed and the worst she was punished with was a scolding.

She never even saw the gun.

Mare had just finished the floors when the door opened and Cal stepped over the threshold. He doesn't give any sign that he sees her, just sets paperwork down and speaks into the phone.

"I know, Kilorn, but I haven't seen her. I'm doing my best. No, I can't attend. Look, I'm a busy man, and to be honest, I couldn't care less that this is supposed to be the best day of your life." A shrill comes out the phone, and Cal calmly replies, "I don't believe in love." More squabbling. "I'll attend your wedding when I find Mare—"