Sometimes the Best Moments are Unplanned

This was requested by @ringler123.

Au, btw.

Maven and Thomas were sharing a bottle of Merlot when the idea came up.

"You know, Mavey—"

"Ugh, don't call me that."

"—As I was trying to say, you have a great taste in wine."

Maven's eyes lit up. "I know I do. See, how this wine is—"

"When I compliment you, don't ruin it. Goodness, if your brother is anything like you no wonder he's still single."

Maven smirked. "No, he prefers to get his hands dirty and greasy. And for some reason, he can't get a girlfriend despite the neighborhood being full of young females." He shuddered in sympathy for his brother.

"Hmm." Thomas sipped from his glass. "Do you know why he can't find anyone?"

"Now that you mention it......he wants someone rough on the edges, but a sweet caring person. Do you happen to know anyone like that?"

Thomas grinned. "I do, actually."

...

Mare felt annoyed.

"Can you tell me why you're picking out my clothes for me?

"I may be a guy, but you can' t deny that I have a better taste in fashion."

She huffed and picked at her nails.

"Ah— here we go. Wear this dress."

"No."

Thomas frowned. "Hmm. You're right. Baby blue doesn't match the skin tone. Why have this rag?" He shifted through the few dresses that Mare owned before moving towards her other clothes. He sighed and blew the hair out of his face. "I give up. You have no matching outfits."

"Can't I just go to this place in jeans and a t-shirt?"

He shook his head in disappointment.

...

At the last minute, Mare decided to back out on the blind date and go to her usual area at the park.

Although it was difficult to walk in heels and a dress with lace at the hem, she managed to walk the dirt trail avoiding dangling branches and roots.

After ten minute of walking, she ended up at the area surrounded by trees with picnic tables scattered on the grass, few benches here and there, with the sky splashing diamonds (as it was night).

This was where she had the fondest memories of a whole family.

She sat down on a bench and made a quick scan around the area. No one but the occasional night jogger and—

Since when did he sit beside her?

Vaguely, she remembered reading books on vampires and other creatures that lurked in the shadows.

Is he a vampire? A demon? 

"Yes," the man drawled, staring at the sky. "I am a vampire that lusts after your blood."

Mare was speechless. "Wha—"