Chapter 27: Just Jaime

Jaime walked in the room and settled on a seat not too close from the front and not too far back. It's been weeks since she started a new degree and she already adjusted very well and she is enjoying it, but the pressure was still there. The professors expect so much from her and her peers look up to her.

The class started and they started their discussions. The lecturer asked Jaime a question and she quickly answered it. She knew the answer because Brix have been teaching her next year's modules already "well done Jaime!" the woman praised her. She just smiled politely "you truly are the Pendleton"

After class, she was packing her things when some of the students came up to her and asked for help and being the nice person, she is she agreed to help "thanks Jay!" said one "you're such a life saver!" then kissed Jaime's cheeks and left.

She's now walking down the corridor 'how did they deal with all these popularity?' she asked herself referring to her sisters. 'I'm not perfect as Alex. I'm not as smart as Ghaille and I don't have Brix's... what does Brix have? Confidence? How would they deal with this situation?'

So she grabbed her phone from her pocket and called her counsellor "hey kiddo. What's up? I'm going to a meeting so..." asked Alex on the other line.

"Oh" replied Jaime disappointedly "nothing. Never mind"

"Is there something wrong?" Alex asked

"No. It's nothing. Just go to your meeting"

"Ok. Be careful always ok? Love you!" said Alex hurriedly and hanged up. Jaime sighed looking at her phone. Alex was usually the person she talks too about these things but this past few days she's been very busy and Jaime knows her sister's keeping herself busy to take her mind off somethings and someone.

"That was the deepest sigh ever" said someone behind her. She turned and saw Claire with a curious face "mind telling me?"

Jaime shook her head "It's nothing important" massaging the back of her neck

Claire poked her side "I know you. You always do that think with your neck when your stressed" Jaime turned to the girl questioningly waiting for the girl to answer on how she knew that "we've been hanging out a lot and I now know your mannerism and stuff"

"Are you busy? Wanna go out for lunch?" Jaime asked, Claire just smiled with a nod "your treat"

"Why is it my treat? You're the one who invited me" Claire replied as they walk

"Because I'm sad" Jaime pouted

Claire tried her best not to get affected with Jaime's puppy eyes but it didn't work "fine but just because your cute" she responded and started to walk a little faster when she realised what she just said. Jaime paused for a moment and looked at the girl with a smile on her face "So you think I'm cute?" Jaime asked as she ran after the girl

"I said no such thing" Claire replied

"Yes, you did" said Jaime

Claire turned to the girl "aren't you a Law student? And don't they teach you about 'not guilty unless proven'? Do you have any proof?" the girl challenged

Jaime squinted her eyes "touché madam. Touché"

While they were eating Claire asked "So?" she asked as she sipped her strawberry with extra whipped cream and sprinkles milkshake "what's up?" she studied Jaime and as usual she doesn't know what's going on inside her head. She thought after all those times they spend together she'd already memorise her but apparently not.

Jaime sighed "we've had this talk before" she replied

"About?" Claire asked while licking her straw

Jaime smiled on how Claire can be childish sometimes "wait" she said and wiped the side of Claire's mouth with her thumb and licked the whipped cream. Claire was surprised on what Jaime just did because she literally thought the girl was going to kiss her because Jaime just leaned forward all of a sudden making her close her eyes "something wrong? You're red?"

"N-nothing?" Claire asked then slapped Jaime's hand

"What was that for?" asked Jaime rubbing her hand

"Stop derailing the question!" Claire replied

Jaime just laughed making Claire's heart beat even more. Deep down inside her, something changed because of the person seating in front of her. Like everytime they hang out she just forgets the outside world like they have their own bubble.

Last time they hanged out, though she enjoyed it having to have met Jaime's sisters and gotten to know more about her, she felt a bit disappointed because she was hoping to be just the two of them. She turned to the girl again and saw her looking out the window like she's thinking deeply about something. She held the girls' hand "what is it?" she asked Jaime sincerely

"What if I don't have what it takes to meet their expectations of me?" Jaime replied still looking out the window at the grey sky.

"Who?" Claire asked

"The teachers, the students, my sisters, my parents" she turned to the girl in front of her "you" she paused and looked down at her half-eaten plate "they expect me to be this next big thing. You know they next great Pendleton. I'm not my sisters. What if I fail?"

Claire sighed and rubbed the girls' hand "Jay why do you keep underestimating yourself" she used her left hand to tilt Jaime's head to meet her eyes "you're right. You're not like your sisters. But your you" she paused "you're brilliant in your own way, ok? Just impress them by showing them who you are. Not as the daughter of this and that or the sister of blah and blah, not as your surname is but who Jaimeson Dane really is. I know you'll amaze them by showing what you can do like you did to me"

Jaime was in shock when she heard all those things from Claire. Those other people credit her work because of her last name but with this girl seating in front of her, she's just Jaime. Not this billionaires daughter, not as the sister of the prodigy, here, in this moment she's just Jaime

Claire gave her hand a gentle reassuring squeeze and saw a tear left Jaime's eye. She leaned and wiped it. They are a few inches apart and their eyes locked on each other

"I love you" said Jaime