Chapter 1

The Espousal

"Sit Ambrose. It is time we spoke about something," king Adolphus told his son. Steam evaporated off Ambrose's ears, not this topic again, he thought.

"Father, I just remembered I have a sword challenge with the captain of guards. We can talk after that, you know how a prince never backs out from a challenge." He got up frantically from the divan.

" If you haven't been informed, the captain of guards is on his sick leave and as far as I know, you quit talking to him days ago. Then I wonder how a sword challenge was arranged.
I know you up and down Ambrose. Now sit." King Adolphus glared and Ambrose sat down, arguing no more.

"You have escaped the topic of marriage for far too long now. Don't you understand that we need to secure the throne before the next coronation? That we need an heir to the throne of Dracoelum?"

Ambrose's face turned red when his father said 'heir'; he loathes people talking about his private life.

"Look at me when I'm talking Ambrose,  you will not disrespect me-"

" But father I-"

" Listen, once the sun is high up in the skies, you will visit the Diamond House-"

" The Diamond House! You are not asking ME to espouse are You Father? I've the heard the women there-"

" You will not talk ill of the women of Diamond House! Holy moon, do I have to teach you the aspects of respect and behaviour all over again?" King Adolphus glared.

" No father. You may presume," Ambrose mumbled quietly.

" Where was I? Oh yes, you will go espousing tomorrow and will have to put effort to look for your mate."

" Okay father. But, what if I don't find my mate there?" He asked, a question that has been loitering in his mind. A sudden look of panic came over his father's but it was gone, replaced by his placid royal expression.

" Royals mate only the pure bloods and Diamond house is where most of them live."
" You can leave now. I will wait for the news of your return tomorrow and I want it to be good news."

Ambrose rolled his eyes at that but he ran away as the king shot one of his deathly stares.

He sauntered through the dimly lit hallways to his chamber. He stood rooted to the ground as he heard familiar voices coming from behind the door. Full of rage, he stormed inside.

"How the heck did you two get inside?" Ambrose exclaimed. "How. Did. You. Get. Inside?" He repeated his question and he noticed his skin turning pale and scales forming.

" Whoa, add some ice to your blood Amb. You said the pass word yourself last night, when you were drunk," Cato told him.

" I utter alot when I'm sober don't I?"

" You also said how you-" Dalmazio's mouth was clamped shut by Cato.

" Do you want another bruise on your face? He's going to punch you fair and square if you tell that, you do know how he hates talking about it."

"What else did I say?" Ambrose asked.

Cato and Dalmazio backed away. " No thanks Amb, we don't want bruises. Anyway, you were drunk and drunkenness is dead by dawn."

" Okay I promise not to hit. Tell me what else did I say?"

" Well... you were saying how you could sometimes feel the proximity of your mate and you were muttering about some dreams too," Cato said.

Ambrose could feel heat radiating off his cheeks but he kept a poker face anyway. "Enough of all that. I have to visit the Diamond house tomorrow."

Cato and Dalmo exchanged amused glances. " Are you going for espousal or what?" Dalmazio guffawed.

"Yes mutt. I'm ordered to visit the Diamond house;  father's orders," Ambrose huffed.

" Look Amb, just like how His Majesty would have told you;  you've got to take mating seriously. Maybe everyone, except you, are thinking of the coronation at least once in a day. It's time you made a move," Cato told him.

                          ○○○○○○○○○○

The sun was high up in the sky, shining warmly down upon everything below. Ambrose wore a knee length side cut beige tunic and brown cotton slacks. He waved at his father who watched from the tower and mounted his white stallion to ride off. He liked his horse but he could fly there too; father and his rules.

Diamond city was far but not that much, Ambrose reached there by evening. He saw fields of flowers as he walked through the roads.

Lord Ralph, the liege Lord of Diamond house had arranged hefty celebrations for him. " Is there anything else I can get you, your Highness?" Lord Ralph asked him for the third time.

" No thank you. I would like to see the house around. It's my first time here and It's quite beautiful."

" Thank you, my prince. There is a reason why it is called 'Diamond house' isn't it?"

The people of Diamond house were amiable,  the rumours were so false. There were some pretty women too. Every time he saw them, they grinned widely at him. Ambrose was not interested in any of them and he didn't know why.

He escaped pathetically to the private blossom fields of the house, away from all those prying eyes. To his left, we're the rose bushes; peach, red, white and even pink. To his right, were big sakura trees.

Ambrose breathed in the fresh air and almost choked when that scent entered his nostrils. It was like a drug, addictive and numbing his senses. Steam evaporated all over his body and his heart beat so fast, faster than it would after a game of chase.

His skin began turning pale and the scales started forming. Something was happening to him but he didn't want it to stop. He craned his neck here and there, looking for the source of the scent like a mad man.

The scent came in the direction of the trees, so he ran there. He ran through the thick dense of trees and he could tell he was closer to it, very close.  Twigs and branches cut through his skin but Ambrose did not feel anything. He just wanted to see what allured his senses so much.

Then, amidst the big rose shrub, someone was there. They were bent over, sniffing the roses. Ambrose could not see the individual's face so he went near and near. Suddenly, the individual straightened and stood very still.

When they turned, Ambrose sucked in a breath and his heart skipped a beat.

Before him stood the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen, with golden eyes. She was his mate, his one true mate.

A/N: Hi! How was the first chapter? 
Please vote and share your comments...
I would love to hear from you.  :)