Chapter 15

The carnival

Days and days after so much council gatherings and discussions; the annual carnival had arrived. As per the traditions, it was taking place at the vast forest clearing located somewhere distant to the castle in Castle city.

The carnival grounds were a splendid sight to see. There was a giant cartwheel ride in the middle and lots and lots of stalls. Stalls of apple candy, fried turkey, sugar clouds and even shoot and win stalls. Talks were that the prizes offered this time were different and special unlike the stuffed playthings.

The  star speciality of the carnival was the costume festival. It was different, unique every time. Each city has their own identity but the costumes camouflage them. One time, everybody thought Ruby city had not attended the carnival but they did. They had the best costumes of all; their costumes mirrored others. Reflection, they called it.

The firefly lanterns illuminated the paths. The house lords of every city were invited by the King to attend the carnival. Their people too. Therefore, the carnival  was an occassion that gave united acquiantance to everyone of all the ten cities.

The lords and their people were gathered at the opening, waiting for the carnival to be opened, to be started by the Prince Ambrose and his wife the Princess Aurelia since the coronation is near.

Alas though, Ambrose and Aurelia were not in friendly terms with each other. Their aura of royalty hid their anger. They lighted the candles to start the carnival and sat by their respective seats.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Romulus  looked majestic in the ruby broquede robes, thought Claire.

Romulus, what an absurd name Rafael came up with.

"You must be ready señorita?" He asked her.

Claire gave him a deathly stare.
"We haven't left the cavern yet Rafael," she said through gritted teeth, cringing at the fake name.

"Disguise is the most important element in this...mission," Rafael told her.

Having set up their stall, namely 'Enchanter' ; Rafael and Claire or now known as Romulus and Señorita, made haste to watch the other performances. Theirs was towards the end.

The costume festival started. The first group or rather a flock of peacocks floated their way across. A platform travelled in the middle, among the bird-like people. A large peacock with a lapiz lazuli body and iridiscent tail of feathers; olive, indigo, bronze and ink blue was twisting its body and fanning its feathers. To attract the, female probaby.

It was an awkward sight to see but the young and single merdracos and humans watched it merrily attentive.

The others in the group flapped their smaller eye-catching wings, imitating the proud birds.

When the birds were shooed away, that is, walked away, another group followed them. Each group had a theme; flowers, animals,birds, crafts and many more. The suspense was identifying which group was which city.

It was time, Romulus and Señorita set up their perfomance gadgets. First, the firecrackers act. Romulus arranged the mild explosives in a stainless steel half open tube. He lighted them consecutively, sending them towards the sky. They exploded into vibrant flowers and patterns. People remarked oohs and aahs chorusly. Even the king was suprised when a firecracker exploded like a real dynamite but it was only the lights that made it so.