Chapter 14

*Please read the Author's note at the end.

The letters

The kingdom was back to its normal days. Merchants traded their goods from city to city. Bonfires burned brightly during festivities. Even some merdracos found their mates.

At the castle, sword and archery practise started. The ladies had their usual splendid tea time, laughing and sharing gossip.

Everyone almost forgot the royal advisor's death. The royal family performed their duties as usual but the grief and loss of Caeser had never left their hearts.

The regency had not replied to Lord Ralph's letter regarding his condolonsces to the royal advisor's death.

"It is almost four days. Four days and no letter has come from the castle yet. Why do you think they did not write back?" Lord Ralph asked Claudius anxiously.

"Don't fret now. They must be grieving still."  Claudius assured him.

"Mourning so much that they have no time to write back, to a letter from a star city like ours? After giving my daughter in marriage to the prince? No no-"

"You have to calm down Ralph. Why don't you write to your daughter? Ask her how things are going at the castle," Claudius suggested.

"Why yes! It's been some time since I wrote to Aurelia. You there! Boy! Get my quill and paper."

Lord Ralph sat down in his writing table. Claudius didn't bother peeping because he knew he wouldn't be able to read the chicken scratch letters. Dipping his quill into the ink bottle, he wrote:

"To my dearest princess,
How are you my girl? How is your life after marriage? Is the lad treating you fine?  Do the king and queen talk to you?

Everyone here at home are good. Your mother and  I miss you here.

How are matters going on in the castle? You know, after the advisor's death? I wrote to the castle almost four days ago and still I  did  not get any letter back. Maybe my letter didn't reach them?

And... this sudden death... what happened?  How did he die?  Was it some sickness? Do you know what happened?  You were there...

Anyway my girl, be happy and do what you have to. You know what I mean; I want grandchildren!

Love from your father

"Here boy! Give this to the messenger. Tell him it has to be given to the lady Aurelia of the castle, wife of the Prince. You heard me, it has to be given to the wife of the Prince!" Said Lord Ralph.

Almost a day's travel after, the messenger from Diamond city arrived at the castle gates.

"Stop. Who are you and what is the purpose of your visit here?" A guard asked him.

The messenger's body began shaking at the guard's fierce voice. He gulped and swallowed.
"I...I am. I am a..mmessengerrr... fffrom... Diamond city... I have...a lletter to the Prince-"

"THE PRINCE! WHAT!" The guard exclaimed.

"No.. no. Not the Prince. A letter to... the wife of the Prince... A letter to. A letter to...the lady Aurelia..." The messenger breathed  a sigh of relief.

"A LETTER TO THE WIFE OF THE PRINCE! FROM DIAMOND CITY! OPEN THE GATES!" The guard yelled to the other guards behind the gates.