Chapter 10

The bad times and the sad times

"Our soldiers have captured some rebels. We shall proceed with the questioning with your consent, your majesty," told Caeser, to the king.

"Proceed," the king replied curtly.

The general gripped the collar of a rebel," who sent you to incur an attack? Who is your leader? Speak!"

" We are rebellious and we are one! We have no leader, we are the leaders!" The man spat.

" A leader has an authority. His actions will speak louder than his words! You foolish men don't even know what status a leader carries, then how could you all be leaders let alone have one amongst you? Tell me now! Who sent you? On what purpose?" The general questioned again.

"He is not a worthy king!" The rebels gestured angrily at king Adolphus, who didn't bother to give any reaction.

" A true king gains the throne by means of valour and might! The throne was just passed to him as an inheritance from his father-"

" How dare you! You bloody scoundrel!" Ambrose growled, half shifting. His mouth widened open and everyone could see how much steam came off him.

" Don't wreck the throne room now Ambrose. Have a control over yourself. There is no need to get mad over petty matters such as these," king Adolphus told his son, through their mind link.

Ambrose forced himself to calm down. There was sensibility to his father's words.

" I will ask you one more time, mind you this is the last normal means; who sent you on this mission? If you tell the truth, you will be pardoned with a punishment in the dungeons or else, the consequences are unimaginable."
The general's tone was dangerously calm, it would send chills along any merdragon.

" We are the rebels and we are one. We will keep fighting until that King is gone and a true deserving king sits the throne of Father Draco!" Another man yelled.

" Your actions and stupidity are an insult to Father Draco's teachings and laws! Enough of this foolishness general, iniate phase two of interrogation," said Caeser.

" Yes captain but we will have to do that in the yard outside. We will begin phase two immediately, I will take your leave, your majesty," the general informed the king,  who just nodded as usual.

" My prince, captain, please follow me."

All the captives were dragged by an adjoined steel leash. The young merdragons who practised archery and sword fight, were bewildered to see the prince at the yard. Their trainer had a stoic expression on his face.

" What're you doing here Amb?" Cato asked, the unhelpful irritation of fatigue taking over him.

" Didn't mean to interrupt but there will be no practice today. If this is over soon, you will be informed," replied Ambrose.

" If you say so," Cato shrugged, "Alright lads and lasses, we'll be having an extended session in the morning. Be there at the break of dawn."

As the last of the merdragons left the yard, the general handed the leash to the other soldier. The general and the other soldiers shifted into their magnificent draco stature. Their stretching and dragging of paws on the ground caused all the ladies on the balconies to coo at them.