Chapter 3

The Safety Measures

"Open the damn door Ambrose! Or else I'll burn through it!" Someone yelled, no it was Dalmazio? It was the darn fool, Ambrose groaned, pushing the sheets lazily off his body.

He opened the door a little and peeked outside. "What do you want in the early hours of the morning?" He growled at them.

"Early hours of the morning? You've slept way past breakfast time," said Cato who pushed the door wide, scurring inside. Ambrose was yet sleepy to fight so he let them in.

" What made you so exhausted Amb?" Asked Cato, his left eyebrow slightly raised.

" I wasn't so vexed out, I had this dream I didn't want to wake up from. She was calling for help and I was all blood, sweat and tears to save her. She k-" Ambrose stopped speaking as he realised what he was telling his friends, by the look they gave him.

" What did 'she' do Amb? Why'd you stop man?" Dalmazio chuckled.

" Speaking of  'she' , did you have any luck with the Espousal?" Asked Cato seriously. Sometimes Ambrose wondered how the two were twin brothers; one was a bag full of junk and one was quite a wise old owl.

"Espousal was... It was splendid..."

"YOU MET YOUR MATE!" Cato and Dalmazio exclaimed.

" How do you know?"

" One; you went to espouse and two; you loathe the word and today not only did you go espousing, you called it 'splendid' too," Cato explained.

" Okay fine, listen up. I would not repeat anything besides, I have to tell mother and father about it as well."

And so, Ambrose related how he met his mate, Aurelia. He told them about the golden beauty she was. When he finished, Dalmazio's mouth was wide open and Cato was wildly bewildered.

" Are you intending on snacking dragonflies? Close your mouth Dalmo," Ambrose chided him.

Perhaps the prince should have knocked, for he walked in on a very private moment between the king and Queen.

" I believe our son needs some behavioural classes again Adora," King Adolphus told his wife, not showing a tinge of awkwardness.

" Not so Adolph. He's going to experience all this very soon. We were mentoring him-"

" Mother! I'm here to talk about an important matter but now I think I won't."

" Now now Ambrose. Calm down will you? Do tell us about the Espousal we can't wait to hear from you," Queen Adora giggled. The Queen was a jovial spirit unlike the king, who was always grumpy and stone faced. Ambrose could get a spanking for pondering such thoughts but he had blocked his mind voice.

" As you know, I visited the Diamond house, on father's orders, and it was quite boring. I had lunch with the liege lord and I met the people of the house. The city was beautiful though, especially the blossom fields where I saw her.  She was ethereal mother, an angel."

" What's her name?"

" Aurelia, the perfect name for her. She is as golden as her name."
" Oh, father? She is a pure blood," Ambrose informed King Adolphus before he left them to absorb the information he'd provided. He did not expand on the details like he did to Cato and Dalmo.