Chapter 17

Mating

Ambrose drew the curtains open and a golden shaft of sunlight streamed on her face. Golden sunlight on his goldie.

Her eyelids twitched and her fingers and toes moved, a little. She hated light when she sleeps. Ambrose grinned broadly, a mischievous notion conjuring in his mind.

"Don't you dare move a step." Aurelia warned him in a groggy morning voice. She knew he was going to pounce on her and tickle until she pleaded to stop.

"Nobody says no to me," Ambrose told her, pouncing on the bed in a jiffy.

Just in time, Aurelia rolled over and Ambrose fell on the mattress instead.

"Aaaouch," he groaned softly. She snickered on the ground.

"Come here you!" He grabbed her from the ground and pinned her under him. He tickled her, tickled her until she started tearing.

"Get ready. We're going out today," he said.

"Going where?" She asked after placing a quick kiss on his mouth.

"That. Will not be told. And nobody should know about it. No one, not even your handmaids."

"Where's that place and why this secret rendezvous? She kissed him again, nuzzling in the crook of his neck.

"Your charms won't work. The place will be untold and our journey discreet."

Aurelia frowned at him and went to the bathing room to clean up. When Ambrose was asleep, her handmaid had knocked their door to fill the tub with boiling water and now it was just right. She discarded her nightrobe and slipped into the tub. She added some rose essence to the water and soaked in it.

"Come soon!" Ambrose shouted from outside. Aurelia sighed and washed her hair, face and body.

She came outside wrapped in a big flannel, her hair dripping wet. She heard the sharp intake of Ambrose's breath. He turned his head painfully fast and now, Aurelia sucked in a breath as she saw the sapphire draco slits drinking in her appearance.

Magically, her feet floated her body to him. She sat on his lap, sideways, inhaling his intoxicating scent. He reached for the flannel folding but before that her voice stopped him.

"Where are we going?" She whispered in his ear. His eyes changed back to normal and he smirked.

"I told you, your charms will not work. Now listen, once you get dressed, I am supposed to be leaving with the generals to Emerald city to deal with some matters. You are supposed to stay locked up in your room, not talking to or letting anyone in because you are sick from a fever caused by a change in weather-"

"But I am perfectly alright!" She interrupted.

"Pretend to be sick. I will arrange everything. All you have to do is sleep or pretend like sleeping."

"Okay but why all this?" She asked.

"Do you want to go out or not?" Ambrose demanded.

"Yes yes, I do!"

As planned, the whole castle knew the princess was sick, having a mild fever; all the healers had made sure of it. She was to sleep until she herself summoned someone in. And the Prince was travelling to Emerald city to sought some matters there.