Chapter 2

The Aquaintance

They were staring at each other for far too long. She blinked and her lips parted a little. It caused Ambrose to go more close to her. They were three to four footsteps away but the queer thing was; Ambrose could not hear her mind voice. Then it clicked to him, she should be a pure blood. Only pure bloods had the ability to block mind voices.

Precautiously, he reached for her hand and entwined their fingers. Simultaneously, both of their bodies jerked and a reverberating vibration passed through his body. By the look in her eyes, Ambrose knew even she experienced the same feeling.

Then, like a twig snapped out of nowhere, she yanked her hand free. Her golden eyes were furious and she retreated.

Ambrose couldn't help but notice her top to toe. She was shorter than him, a couple of inches maybe. She had a dusky golden complexion like she was glowing. Even her hair was a golden blond, dead straight and neatly combed through. She wore a long red velvet hooded cloak over a white shirt and tight dress pants. And her lips... It was a dusty rose colour, going so well with-

" Are you done looking? Light - headed peasant," She muttered, spinning on her heals.

Ambrose snapped from her oblivious beauty and ran after her. "Wait... what's your name?" He asked her.

She pretended not to hear as she presumed walking. Anger built up inside him, that was not how one behaved with a royal and, and... he was her mate...

Unknown to his own self, Ambrose was shifting into his draconian form. White scales covered every part of his skin. His bones cracked, bent and elongated. The warmth in his thoracic region itched as fire kindled. His humongous wings jutted out and he stretched it wide and far, feeling relieved at the action.

Ambrose stretched his huge body and smirked at the woman, who stared at him wide - eyed. He trotted to her, his claws leaving big indents on the ground. He bent his neck and sniffed her intoxicating scent. When he breathed out, his smoky breath fanned her face and she gasped.

" Shift to your human form," she ordered.

" No," He replied through mind voice.
"Not unless you tell me your name."

Her eyes widened again, turning a darker shade of gold.
"Aurelia," she whispered before running off towards the clearing.

" Aurelia." Ambrose tried saying her name out and smirked at the reaction he had made on her. He never thought the existence of his mate would be so ecstatic.

It was well past sunset which meant he had to return home. Or, if he was late, father would send a search party as if he was a child lost in the forest. But, Ambrose did not want to leave so soon, he wanted to stay there,  where she was.

Nevertheless, he began shifting and stopped immediately as he realised he had destroyed his clothes while shifting.

" Get some clothes will you?" Ambrose asked Aurelia through mind voice as she was nearby.

" I maybe your mate but I am not your servant. Find someone else to fetch your things."

" You don't want to get in trouble for disobeying me."

" And who are you of such importance?"

" So you don't know who I am? I did not expect Diamond house to treat guests this way."

" Why won't you leave me alone?"

" I'm never going to leave you alone but this time I will if you get me some appropriate clothes." Ambrose chuckled at her rising temper.

" Fine. Wait here, I will be back. Do not follow me."

Ambrose took off to the air and soared mightily. It felt so good to be flying. He was circling and somersaulting in the skies and through the trees.

The air carried her scent which meant Aurelia was near so Ambrose descended. His abrupt landing created a strong gust of wind that dishevelled her hair all over her face.

Aurelia placed the clothes down and folded her hands into her arms.

" You want to see me shifting huh?" Said Ambrose, smiling wickedly.

She blushed furiously. " You will have some clothes on, they will just be damaged."

" It's different with your mate, you know, everything is."

After he was done shifting and changing,  Aurelia glared at Ambrose and walked away.

" I will be back for you Goldie!" He shouted.

" It's Aurelia junk head!" She yelled back.

Ambrose wanted to talk to her but since it was getting dark, he had to return home, on a horse. On the way, he regretted not visiting Diamond house earlier, not listening to his father and friends.

The woods were silent except for the hooting of owls. Owls? Owls were ominous, they meant danger. Ambrose looked all around him as he rode on. He wasn't afraid, he was being cautious. Nothing of peril was witnessed though, he shrugged his shoulders, increasing the pace of his horse; it was just nothing.

Twilight illuminated his home, the great castle. The sounds of gates opened reached his ears a good distance away. The guards knew of his arrival even before they saw him. Their sharp hearing and attentiveness was why father kept them as guards for years. However, Ambrose loathed the captain of guards. He was too pestering,  always reporting on Ambrose for sneaking out into the night for hunting. The fact that King Adolphus being too protective over him, annoyed him. He was a full grown man and draco. Cato and Dalmazio frequently made fun that.

Ambrose tried sneaking to his chamber but the guards informed him his father had asked for him as soon as he returned.

He knocked lightly on the door.In
"Come in, " king Adolphus replied, through mind voice.

" I wonder what took you quite long?"

" You see, uh, father,  I was, I...."  It was so awkward to tell his father about the acquaintance.

" You met your mate didn't you?"

" Hhow do you know?"

" Your mother, I and someone other can tell what you feel just by looking at your eyes. It seems you had quite the acquaintance today," King Adolphus gestured to Ambrose's clothes.

The colour drained from his face. " No no father. It is not what you think.  I just met her today-"

" I see, my son has met his mate and I did not know about it until I walked into an uninvited conversation, " Queen Adora stated, a frown on her face.

" I was going to tell you mother. I wanted to wash and change before I came to talk. I'm quite exhausted, I will talk to you both tomorrow," Ambrose lied and took his leave.

He rushed to his chamber and was not suprised to find his friends sprawled on his bed, laughing loudly over something.

" Get out. I need to have some sleep," Ambrose announced.

" What made you so worn out?" Dalmazio inquired, wearing a stupid grin on his face.

" He's tired after the Espousal Dalmo. Let's talk to him in the morning," Cato scolded his twin but the corners of his mouth twitched. The two ran out and Ambrose heard them howling in laughter.

He was very annoyed. He yelled orders at the helping hands to prepare him a scalding bath. When he got into the bubbling water, everyone vanished from his mind but not his mate.

A/N: Hi... :)
How was this chapter?
Please vote and comment!
Have a nice day! :)