Chapter 16

The newcomer

A new talk took its course at Castle city after the carnival. Everyone spoke of the 'Enchanter' stall and its wonders. It was surely a massive success for Rafael.

A man whose leg bones had cracked, causing him to limp for years; began walking and running. A barren woman carried children in her belly. A blind man gained his eyesight back. All this happened after they bought a potion from Romulus the healer.

One such customer was a noble lady from the castle. She had brought an elixir so that her husband would spend more alone time with her. The elixir had worked its charm and the happy lady passed the news to other ladies during their evening tea time.
Leave it to the ladies to spread news.

The royal council were impressed by the illusionary charms of Romulus.

"Your Majesty, there is this new healer in the city whose handluck is spoken well of. He is called Romulus, he was a magician at the carnival. On behalf of the whole council, I would enlighten to you that the castle has very few in-house healers. What if we could hire...this...healer?" Claudius spoke bravely to the King.

"How many healers do we have exactly?" The king asked.

"There is a royal healer, a castle healer and a mortuary helper. That makes three in total, Your Majesty," said lord William.

Just three? King Adolphus thought.

"Invite this healer. He has to get some training with our healers, if he is qualified, hiring could be considered," said the King.

"As you say, Your Majesty." Claudius inclined his head, smiling broadly inside. Rafael would be pleased to hear the news.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rafael resided at a small town near the outskirts of Castle city. He was concerned if the fool would acomplish his task. Convincing council members will be easy but the King?

"We will fulfill our mission, whatever it takes," said Claire, placing a hand on Rafael's shoulders.

"We have to," said Rafael.

A grey dove flew recklessly towards him, making a crash landing. A tiny paper roll was tied to its leg. Rafael unclasped the roll and released the bird to the air.

'To whom it may concern,
The king has consented to hire Romulus the healer to the castle.
Make haste.'

Rafael crumpled the message and fed it to the green flame, satisfied.

"Who knew a good for nothing puppet had some potential," he told Claire who was baffled as always.

Upon arriving at the castle, Romulus and Señorita waited at the common guest parlour for their prescence to be requested at the throne hall.

"You may now enter the throne hall," A tall well built man informed them.

They were escorted by four huge guards. The two guards at the doorway uncrossed their human sized spears, letting them pass through.

The floor was carpetted with rich furs and wool. Intricate golden column works lined the pillars that stretched high towards the ceiling. A majestic glass dome rose right above the throne platform. The royal throne where mighty ruthless Kings ruled and bellowed.