t h i r t y - o n e

a/n: guess which loser cant survive not updating daily because she loves writing and updating so much 🤡 well, i guess im back to daily updates ya
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

a/n: guess which loser cant survive not updating daily because she loves writing and updating so much 🤡 well, i guess im back to daily updates ya▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

chapter 31:
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

when the siblings arrived at the well known expensive restaurant, they saw their parents waiting for them at the reception area. seonghwa was shocked to see them waiting outside instead of just waiting at their table. maybe they aren't that embarrassed of us after all, he thought.

"ah, there are our children." mr park point at the two. the waitress nods and leads the family to their reserved table. "right this way."

the family follows the waitress, taking in the familiar atmosphere and ambience of the restaurant. it's mr park's favourite restaurant. very pricey meals but this is the place where the rich and elegant dine.

they sit down where the waitress had shown them their table and they take a look at the menu before each ordering what they want.

"so seonghwa, you're almost done with high school, am i right? and jihyun, you have another year to go, right?" their mother questions, taking a sip of her wine.

seonghwa rolls his eyes for the millionth time that day. "you don't even know that, do you? do you even know how old we both are? i doubt so." he scoffs.

"park seonghwa! do we need to give you a lesson on manners again? you're old enough to know that you should respect your parents." mr park glared at his son.

"you want to teach me manners? oh sure, while you're at it, why don't you teach me all the other things you've missed out on because you never gave a damn about me nor jihyun!" seonghwa lashes out, keeping his volume low as to not disrupt the other people dining at the restaurant.

"seonghwa," his mother places her hand over his, trying to calm him down. "i understand where you're coming from but lashing out on us is not the solution." she says, rubbing her thumb on the back of his hand but he pulls it back.

"you guys rarely ever come home and when you do, you guys act like we don't exist at all. you come home for only about a week and then you guys go off for about a year or so. do you know how embarrassed i get when the teacher wants to meet up with everyone's parents but mine is never there? my teacher even thought youngmin hyung was my brother because he's the one who always comes to our parent-teacher conferences. he's just our cousin and even though he's busy with work, he makes time for us! you guys, our own parents, can't even do that so i don't know what you mean by 'you understand' because i'm pretty sure you don't." he drinks his plain water before standing up.

his parents look at him. "i'm going outside for some fresh air. if the food arrives, you can start eating without me." he leaves the table, not bothering to wait for their response.

jihyun awkwardly stays seated. she tries to avoid eye contact, looking everywhere but her parents' faces. her father sighs before drinking his wine and turns his attention to his daughter. "i don't know what seonghwa is so worked up about. everything that i'm doing is for him and you because i love you two, why can't he just appreciate that?"

jihyun frowns. did seonghwa's outburst not get through his thick skull? "did you not listen to him at all? you guys don't care about us enough and he's been holding it in for the longest time. you act like you don't have children at all. the only time you act like a father is when we're out together as a family. you want people to see us as a perfect family. you don't want them to see what's behind the curtains. the truth. the fact that you don't care about us at all and that you're obsessed with your own success and reputation."

her mother looks at her in disbelief. never did she think her daughter would speak to them like that. she had always been the type to keep her feelings and opinions to herself. but when the anger has been building up for years, she's bound to release all the pent up feelings someday. and that day is today.

"you say what you're doing is for us but it's obviously for yourself! you're so stubborn on wanting us to take over your company in the future but can't you see? you're hurting us! you say you love us but why can't you let us be? we feel suffocated when you tell us we have to be prepared to take over the company. we're still teenagers, for god's sake! we have more to life than just family business. we have our own passion and interests. can't you pester us about the company when we're at the right age? we're both hurt because you don't take our feelings into consideration! its like we're not important to you. i hope you understand what i'm saying because i don't want to have another outburst because you can't understand where we're coming from. i'm leaving. you two can have dinner yourselves because i don't think seonghwa is coming back." jihyun stands up, grabbing her purse before leaving.

she goes out to the car park and sees seonghwa standing by his car, talking to someone on the phone. she approaches him and his phone calls ends just before she reaches him. "oh, what are you doing outside? i was just about to get in." seonghwa tells her.

"can we leave? i told them i'm leaving and you are too." seonghwa nods, unlocking his car. "thank god, i didn't think i'd survive in there." he enters the driver seat and jihyun sits on the passenger seat, buckling her seatbelt.

she rants to her brother about how ignorant their father is and seonghwa listens attentively, occasionally giving comments about how he agrees. "we're going to san's place, okay? he's the only one that understands because he too, is in the same position as i am. i really gotta like, let it out, you know? you're fine with that, right?" he questions, keeping his eyes on the road.

"yeah, i'm fine with that. he's my best friend anyways." she shrugs, taking out her phone to entertain herself while her brother drives to san's place.