Ch. Six

A/n

Didn't realize that today was Monday until a few minutes ago 😅.
PS- I never know what day it is until I've been notified by someone.

.   .   .

The type of neighbourhood their brother lived in was the type their parents would warn them against going Brie thought as Cassie drove down the dimly lit street. The number of rough-looking persons they had passed along the way was hard for her to keep count of and the entire time she couldn't take her gaze away from her sister.

"Are you kidding me," She finally whispered to get Cassie's attention.
"This is where Craig lives?"

"Yup, I know it doesn't seem like the best place on earth but apparently he likes it here."

"Does mom and dad know?"

"Nope," Cassie shook her head, her eyes never leaving the road.

"You come here, alone?"

"When I can't find him, yeah. Most of the time Craig comes to find me."

"Oh. So what exactly would he usually get involved with?"

"Before it was drugs and that's it. Lately, he's been trying to better himself. I even got him a job interview at this company but I don't know what happened. That was the last I heard of him, then he called a couple of days ago."

"The last time I saw Craig was a few months ago. He was there at mom and dad's and he met Raye for the third time."

"Craig likes his space and I think we all could tell. The only reason he lets me know stuff is because I can be pushy, very."

"I know that's true," Brie replied, nibbling on her nail. Cassie rolled her eyes before pulling onto the side of the street at an apartment building. It was run down and something you'd see out of those gang movies and the sight of the entire neighbourhood caused her stomach to tighten from fear.

"No need to be afraid, most of the guys around are friends with him."

"Emphasis on him and not us. We don't know anyone here so what you've said isn't doing anything to lighten the mood."

"I know, so let's make it quick."

Together they exited the car, Brie a little more sceptical than her sister but followed closely behind. They got into the building and over to the staircase,

"The elevator doesn't work and Craig's on the seventh floor." Brie simply nods while remaining silent as she followed.
By the time they'd gotten to the floor Cassie had mentioned, they were both groaning over their knees which eventually caused a few exchanged giggles.

"Here it is," Cassie pointed out as they neared. Pulling the spare key she'd gotten from him out of her pocket, she unlocked the door and she and Brie both stepped in.

"What the fuc-" Brie coughed and gagged at the stench coming from within the house. Cassie simply covered her nostrils, searching for the lights until she found them, throwing it on.
The apartment was promptly lit, showing all the dark corners and both sisters stood examining the mess.

The entire place was ransacked. Cupboards were emptied, clothes were everywhere, broken glass laid about the floor, it was literary a mess and a mess that brought back too many memories for Brie. She was taken back to the events from two years ago where her own apartment was trashed while she was away. Seeing the state of everything caused her hands to get clammy and cold and there was a sudden urge to just leave.

"I-I think we should go because this doesn't look right and obviously Craig's not here," She said in a shaky voice, beside her Cassie quietly agreed.
They backed out of the apartment, Cassie turning the lights off just as she'd seen it and once she did that and had locked the door both herself and Brie were startled by the presence of a man.