Ch. Thirty- Eight

The guys were riled up Craig realized when he was following two of them to the car out front. Most of the fellas that were around had agreed to go to a little casino place to have some fun. Luca had asked him to tag along which he agreed. It had been some time since he was last out in the open rather than enclosed buildings with faces he'd grown familiar too over the few weeks.
Craig was itching to get out and drink and smoke a little with actual people. It's not that the guys weren't but all they ever did was talk shit about everyone and do drugs around him. He was used to it but so used to it that it became an old worn-out task to him.

Before he made it inside the car, a very excited Paolo comes up and pushes his shoulder. "I'm surprised you're not taking Charlie with ya," he laughed and Craig flexed his jaw irksomely.

Most of the guys had come to realize that he was attracted to Charlie and likewise. They saw them together quite a lot whenever she came by and would make fun of him for it. He knew the girl was a handful but she was ebullient and sweet and he like that. At first, he was hoping that the age gap wouldn't have been off-putting to her or anyone else but everyone seemed fine. Charlie at Twenty-one was old enough to know what she wanted and apparently, she had an eye for bad boys with calm and sweet personas.

Ignoring the likeness of the tall, sinewy fella with the dark t-shirt and ripped jeans, Craig got into the front seat. Two others climbed in the back, and Paolo took to the driver's seat.

"Can't wait to get fucked up tonight," he says chuckling. There was a lit cigarette between his parted lips, smoke curling from them each time he opened his mouth. He squinted one eye shut from the smoke, carefully swinging the car out into the street. Loud chatting from the two in the backseat irked Craig's soul. He placed his hand on the window, cradling his forehead into his calloused hand. He did his best to ignore their pesky voices. All he wanted was a shot of something strong and to play a few games before going back and collapse into bed.

The guys in the back continued to laugh amongst themselves until they were pulling up in front of the small casino, the entire ride Craig's face was placid. The fellas were the first to hop out of the vehicle as it cruized to a halt. Paolo saw them do it and he started flaring profanities within the air. "Those assholes do that every time!"

Craig laughed and the man beside him casually told him to fuck off which he laughed even more. He didn't wait for Paolo to tell him he could leave, he started opening the door to the car himself but paused for a few seconds when he saw another vehicle slowing down in the street. The quickest thing had been his eyes and when he'd descried the sketchy setup, he tried to cover himself but it was too late. The tinted window to the car had rolled down just a little and there exposed was a gun.

Bullets flew in a matter of seconds, lighting up the space between them. The rapid bangs rang out in the open air and those unfortunate enough to be around were trapped to witness it. Several bullets had struck Craig about his body but the one doing the most damage had struck him at his side. Paolo had even been hit in the shoulder, groaning during the aftermath. The car raced off into the distance.

"Shit!" Paolo exclaims behind clenched teeth. Both himself and Craig had been hyperventilating, but he soon realizes the guy had been hurt far more.
People started to rush out of the casino and neighbouring buildings. The men that had ridden with them all ran back to see the two men blood soaked.
Craig was clinging onto his life. He gasped and gasped for air, blood rushing out of his wounds and nose. He had been hit pretty badly and was praying someone would come to his rescue.

His hands shook and his vision blurred. The longer he sat there unable to move the more he felt light-headed. His lungs felt like they weren't getting enough air no matter how hard he tried to breathe. Tears stung his eyes as his life flashed before him. He saw his mom and her happy face, smiling days and sad ones. He saw his pops and his solemn look, he saw him grinning and happy. He saw his sister's Cassie and Brie and there were tears in their eyes, but happy ones. He saw his brother and he taunted him as usual and they laughed. Then just like that, his thoughts were interrupted.