Ch. Forty- Seven

Brienna's heart was pounding rapidly in her chest. The loud thumping could be heard in her ears like a grandfather clock in a quiet hallway. The bald-headed man that held her harshly steering her out of the building didn't seem to hear it, so she figured it was just her who felt the vibration in her chest whilst hearing the loud drumming in her ears.

A thick, calloused hand was wrapped around her small wrist and she wanted to protest at the man's insensitivity but refused to give into it. Brie bit the pain back, almost jogging to keep up with her aggressor who pushed her out of the entrance once he pulled the door open.

She squinted at the burst of sunlight. She glared at him, frantic grey eyes to beady, soulless ones.

"You're one lucky girl," he says and she frowns, risking a quick glance around the vicinity. The day was stilled and little to no people traversed the streets. A few vehicles veered by and that was about it until Brienna sees a distinct car sitting at the sidewalk with a hooded figure casually exiting.

She had not known Charlie for long but had acquired enough knowledge about the girl to notice her approaching from across the street. Brienna remembered what Raye had said to her about her uncle and the young girl being there to take her away from the epicentre of the presumed bloodbath before she could get hurt.

Most people would've been inundated by the chaotic release of all the anxiety and fear accumulated over the last five or six days but Brie wasn't one of those individuals. She instead feels a knot ringing itself tightly around the depths of her stomach. She felt an inevitable surge of doom that lingered above her head like a nebulous mist. And she panicked. The girl tried marching past the man back into the building but he grabs her forearm roughly pushing her away.

"Boss said you were free to go, or don't you want that?"

"I have to get to my girlfriend."

"Who her, she's just about good as dead." The man who was addressed as Ian by Quinn himself tosses, smirking, revealing all his messed up teeth, some capped with gold. Brienna grimaced, her inner being tumefied with a mixture of abhorrence and anger. But she couldn't do anything but walk away.

Calmly stepping back, she decides to keep her eyes on the man until she was a few feet away. She turned around to see Charlie casually making her way up to her and she smiled a little at the notion of seeing the girl again but then her smile fades. Memories of her brother Craig and how much he had changed within the weeks flooded. He even found a love interest he seemed enrapt about. He was happier and doing well but the evil men were adamant on making someone pay and it so happened to be her family.

"Oi sweetheart," Brie hears and she stops to glare over her shoulder. The man was grinning at her for a few seconds before continuing his taunts.

"Boss has left me with a few parting words for you," were his last words before reaching into his side and pulling out a gun aiming it directly to her head. Before Brie could've reacted the sound of a firearm went off twice and both times she flinched.

* * *

The emaciated looking man with the gun slips further into the room at the nonverbal command of his boss. He'd shifted to the man's side, pointing the weapon directly at both Luca and Raye. Neither of the two seemed fazed by the sight of it. They didn't even try to surrender but stood still with steel gazes, their composure defined by discipline and expertise.

"Give me the money," Quinn requests and Raye keeping in line with her half of the deal, kicks the bag on the floor that was once on her shoulder. It didn't move but it left Quinn to garner the idea that if he truly wanted the money he was going to have to come get it himself; he did. He moves slowly, unafraid and feeling like a god at the moment.