Fear Strikes

Word count: 1000

Swipe. Swipe. Swipe. Tango was honing his fighting skills. The odd happenings around the world were making him paranoid. Despite Xisuma's assurance, Tango didn't believe things were fine. He grew up in a world that was full of traps, and now this one had them too. The people who hadn't died, called the grey skins the dead team.

It was a try at humor, but it seemed more accurate than ever. Ren was one of the best examples, looking as if he didn't have control of himself. There were even rumors that the perished were building a building called the 'Deadquarters'.

Tango had taken to the safer side and buried himself underground. He didn't trust anyone anymore that had to respawn recently. It was taking its toll on him, though.

Looking around the massive underground cavern, Tango wished to see the sun again. A better entrance was due, as currently one had to plummet down through a thin tower, then catch oneself with their wings. The timespan to do so was very small.

However, that didn't seem to bother someone, as a small shape fell down the hole. Only a dead person would risk that, thought Tango as he ran into a closet. Call him a scaredy-cat, but Tango wasn't dying today. The door wasn't built the best, as a hole was in the middle section of the door. Despite this, Tango was very well hidden.

It was Ren who visited Tango. Sucking in a breath, heart pounding, Tango waited as the grey skin wandered closer. Either it was a deathly sense or Ren could feel warmth from the still-living, as a second later he was at the door. Not moving, not talking, just staring. Tango's whole body shook while he looked for something to defend himself with. When he looked back, Ren was gone.

Cold sweat coated every inch of his body. Tango slicked back his messy blond hair to calm down. Even his extra sharp vision couldn't help him with this. The dead seemed to know this.

"Ahhhhhhhh!" Someone yelled. Tango rushed out to see Impulse flying down the tower. He managed to pull out of the dive at the last second. Impulse glided towards the platform Tango was standing on.

"Dude!" Impulse landed and dusted off his t-shirt. "Who you trying to kill? The dead or the alive?"

Tango laughed a bit dryly. "Apparently neither, since both have successfully gotten in here."

Impulse looked up from his dusting. "You got visited by the dead?" If Impulse's eyes could get any bigger, they did as Tango nodded.

"About five seconds before you fell down the shaft." Tango smirked.

"Hey! Anyone can fall, but it takes skill to fall gracefully!" Impulse retorted waggling a finger. "How else am I supposed to get down here? Teleport?"

"Well the point of it is so people wouldn't need to get here. So why would you need to get down here?" Tango sighed.

Impulse avoided the question by directing Tango's attention to a more important matter. "You know for someone who has super sight, you sure miss a lot." He indicated Tango's red eyes.

"That is?"

"Your nether portal is trapped."

"What!" Tango spun around, immediately noticing the eerie clicking. How did he miss this? His laser vision focused on the barely noticeable string. "Oh."

"Oh is right. There are so many traps on this world now. I came to ask you to help me disarm them."

Tango continued to stare at the trap. At least Impulse agreed with his fears. "Disarm them? You can do that?"

"Tango, I'm a former bomb technician. You can totally do it. Starting with what I'm sure is a T-60 bomb attached to your portal."

Tango's eyes swiveled back to Impulse. "You, a bomb technician?" Tango knew everyone had different backgrounds having been brought here by the Watchers from their own worlds and even times. Some of them weren't humans, from Doc's creeper hybrid to Jevin's jelly nature. Heck, he wasn't even human, he just assumed the form of one. The only thing that related him to his past was the unmistakable red eyes.

"Is that surprising?" Impulse took a device from his pocket. "Grian was a biologist."

Tango nodded. "I guess not. We should probably do what you came here for."

The device turned out to be a disabler. No bomb, thankfully, blew up. The duo went around disabling quite a few traps, though they had a close encounter with TNT.

Eventually they found themselves in an underground mall. Due for some refreshments, Tango and Impulse wandered up to a shop named, "Deny your Demise."

In the store Impulse read one of the signs. "Potions for a diamond. Wait, I gave these out for free!"

Just then Tango noticed a lectern with a sign above it. "Over here it says custom orders."

"That's nice." Impulse replied, not really paying attention. Tango opened the book to see the words 'HAHAHA'

Just then the floor broke beneath them and they started falling.

"Ahhhhhhhh!" Impulse and Tango both screamed as they fell down. Tango's last thought was the beast he had trapped inside of him might be unleashed. If the respawn had been tampered with, he would become devastating. This had become very bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tango woke up, all alone. Crypts lined the swamp and a ghostly, floating island was taking shape. Tango saw Xisuma working on it, courtesy of his super vision. No virus stirred inside of him, because it had broken the caged beast free. Instead it gloated from afar at how much havoc this new creation would wreak.

Tango walked over to a small part of the water that was clear. Looking down into the reflective surface, he felt the beast escape. Oh no, he was now his true demon self, complete with glowing red eyes.

The beast laughed an evil and dark laugh. It felt so good to be back. A voice spoke to him in his mind.

"DarkWings," it hissed. "Use your redstone skills to demise more people. I want them all transformed!"

Tango's lips opened up in a horrible grin, revealing razor-sharp teeth. "It would be my pleasure." His black wings spread as he took off to destroy the world.