Dire Times

Special Note: This story takes place as Tenn is dying. In the middle we see the end of last chapter. Hope this helps!

Erie noises lilted across Joe's highly sensitive ears. An eloquent man, Joe was favored by most. He found himself gushing out fancy words in sentences that his brain couldn't even comprehend. Despite his vast vocabulary and immense knowledge, Joe had many fears. Especially those eerie noises. When was the last time you could talk your way out of a trap?

Joe had become a bit of a nomad when the traps started popping up. You can't trap someone if you don't know where they will be. He carefully picked his way across the muck of the swamp. No use getting dirty. As Joe took another careful step, a rocket fired. Joe scanned his eyes across he murky water. No hiding place.

Instead of a feared dead person, the flier was one of the few remaining alive. Mumbo, in his pristine suit, was gliding along with black and red wings. Joe had to admit the man looked a lot like a hawk, when Mumbo saw Joe's skinny figure from high up.

He spiraled down to the ground tilting himself up at the last moment. Mumbo gave a customary bow, a light tilt forwards. Joe mimicked the gesture and waited for him to speak.

"Greetings, wanderer." 

Joe stifled a laugh. Mumbo was not usually like this. What ever this game was, Joe would play along. "Welcome to my humble adobe. Accommodations are scarce throughout a time of great peril. You are welcome to proceed through the trials of this land alongside me."

Mumbo sighed with a big smile. "Okay, you win."

Joe couldn't help but raise one hazel eyebrow. "Win what? If I may ask."

"I was seeing if I could beat you at a word competition-"

Joe wasn't one for interrupting, but Mumbo usually wasn't one for doing strange competitions. What was he up to? "Okay Mumbo." Mumbo looked at him with apprehension.

"What game are you playing? Did Grian put you up to something?" Joe referred to the undead architech partner.

Mumbo scuffed his foot into the ground, a mistake as the mud latched onto his dress shoe. "Well......"

"Spit it out, Mumbo." That was perhaps the most informal phrase Joe had ever spoken.

The mustached man sheepishly pulled a potato out of his pocket. It had the words 'Hot potato' etched into its skin. "In a way, yes, it was Grian." He scrunched his eyebrows. "But he was extremely cryptic about it."

Joe heard the rustle of a big creature. Taking no risks, he took his elytra out of his bag. Mumbo had confusion written across his face.

"We aren't safe here." Joe pointed where the noise had come from. "To many ears in too many places. I know where to go."

Mumbo watched as Joe strapped the wings to his body. The process was quick, and soon the wings had morphed into wide black and white wings. The black curved around the tip of every white feather, as if a book was written on them. Mumbo glanced at his own wings, a little put off at how average they were. Average size, average color. He would need to do some redstone tweaking on them.

Joe launched himself into the sky with big sweeps from his wings and the rocket he had fired. Mumbo fumbled for a rocket, hoping he could take off better than he usually could. Thankfully his wings didn't fail him, and soon Joe and Mumbo were flying off into the sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe was talking to Mumbo as they flew in the ever darkening sky. Words couldn't travel very far when they were flying very high in the sky. Neither of them realized that they were so close to the volcano. A jolt coursed through their bodies, changing some things in their code. A major update.