Deadquarters

Word count: 2230

Sunlight streamed into the futuristic base. Jutting into the sky, the massive build looked like a harness for a portal to another realm. Maybe the inhabitant did that on purpose. The owner of the masterpiece came from a time where redstone did strange things. Even builds could be made to harness a special type of redstone. This redstone was rare and did stuff that shouldn't be possible. It was called bluestone.

Grian, the owner of the build, was a master with bluestone. He manipulated it, turning it into new dimensions and new worlds. Grian also might have been responsible for shulkers' ability to levitate people. He was one of the oldest hermits in terms of when he lived. Grian was only twenty-six, but he was born hundreds of years before the others. He remembered a time before the Watchers.

Then something changed. Grian was working on a portal to a realm called the Iskallium realm when he suddenly blacked out. He woke up in a completely new world called EVO. This was hundreds of years after he was born. Somehow he had gone through time. Grian didn't think about it much, although his past sometimes trickled into parts of his builds.

He was thinking about even less as Grian groaned at the sunlight. Why did I build the walls out of glass? His phone buzzed on a table, a good distance away. Sighing, Grian got up and looked at the text. It was from Mumbo.

"Grian, are you the person who made the concrete machine blow up?" Grian winced. Ooops.

"B-blew up? I don't know what you're talking about." Apparently Iskall was in the chat as he texted as well.

"Oh no. I swear I'm the only one not blowing Sahara up."

"Oh, Grian. The fireworks are very amusing. You seem to have a talent for making something look complicated, when it's really just simple."

Grian thought about it for a second. He decided to tell the others about the redstone he used to work with. "Maybe the reason I'm so bad at redstone is because it was different when I worked with it."

Iskall scoffed, managing to do it through a text. "You, redstone? Look I know you were in EVO but..."

"You don't believe me? Then tell me how I managed to build a time portal. And remove Mumbo's mustache?"

Mumbo groaned through the text. "I hated that machine. What did you do? Use bluestone?" He was joking but Mumbo actually found the truth.

"Well.... I just got out of bed so I'll talk to you guys later." Grian decided against talking about his convoluted past. Especially over a text. His mind started waking up as he flew out of his base. When he opened the 'Find your Fellow Hermits' app on his phone, he noticed something very strange. All the dead people were in the graveyard. Something was up.

Grian decided to take the risk and fly over there. He took the nether because the distance to the graveyard was very far. It was about 5000 kilometers away.

The dead really didn't want visitors, because pressure plates lined the walkway to the portal.

"Well, here goes nothing." Grian said to himself as he bolted across them. Nothing. Apparently it was just a deterrent. He swiftly went through the portal.

"WOAH!" Grian gasped as he looked up. A massive castle now lay on top of the floating island. Vines, moss, and waterfalls dripped down the island's edge, framing the dead trees. It definitely looked haunted. Grian saw a chest. He landed, started opening it, then slammed it shut again.

Well that was dumb, Grian thought. That could have been trapped. It definitely was, but not in a killing sense. The dead crept out of the doorway, led by Xisuma. Grian panicked and flew away. He had been in the deadlands too long.