Old Times, New Times

Word count: 1100

Dear Diary,

I've been out of it for long. The world has changed since I've last seen it. I think I've been teleported through time. There are these scary creatures that the others call phantoms. And fish! There are finally fish in the ocean. I don't know who is changing the code, but they seem to be doing it a lot. However, more and more people are dying left and right. What has started this madness? Is this apart of the code too? Or has someone tampered with it?

-Keralis

Keralis closed his diary and laid his pen down on it. Pens were new too. Who knew how long ago, but back in his day, they used a quill. What wasn't new, were minigames.

Mumbo had texted him earlier telling him that Tango had left a 'game' of sorts in his base. Mumbo had also stressed that Keralis may die, as Tango was dead. That meant that this game was probably a trap. 

Keralis loved minigames, even at the cost death. Usually he could just revive, but with this code. Nope! He couldn't help himself. He grabbed his rockets and started to fly over to Mumbo's base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello Bumbo," Keralis glided into Mumbo's base. Bumbo was Mumbo's nickname, back many years ago. They were seventeen at the time, back when Hermitcraft was on its second world.

"Keralis!" Mumbo popped out from behind some redstone. "How are you?"

"I'm good, as usual. Still trying to figure out half the things around here." Keralis looked at the redstone. "Still working on redstone? I remember when you broke the world."

Mumbo sheepishly grinned. "My redstone, has thankfully, improved. I haven't caused a breakdown in five years."

"Oh the good old days huh?" Keralis watched as Mumbo went over to a chest and put a bunch of stuff in it. The items were dispensed in a water stream that circled the futuristic base.

"I'm glad you came over, it has been so long since we've talked."

"Yeah," Keralis trailed off, remembering that in the business world they were rivals. Sahara consited of some guy named Grian, Mumbo, and Iskall. His company, Idea, led by ShiswamiVoid (Xisuma), was a big corporal business consisting of him, Bubbles (BDubs) and Xisuma. He would put all of that aside, for the sake of friendship.

Keralis wandered to the center of the base, where a water elevator lay, currently covered in glass.

"Keralis don't go there! Xisuma trapped that."

"Xisuma? Doesn't seem like him." But Keralis kept his distance anyway.

Mumbo guided him to a nether portal. "Come see my industrial distrist. I had to make it very far away so Xisuma wouldn't complain."

"Shiswami always complains about those sort of things." Keralis laughed. "It must be lag mayhem over there then. What kind of redstone lies there?"

Mumbo smiled as they walked through. "To start with, a witch farm, to get all the redstone I need." The two conversed about past projects and such until they reached the end of the tunnel. Mumbo and Keralis walked through the other side, to a giant pit that had tons of different contraptions.

"Woah, you did this? How?" Keralis' mouth dropped open.

"Well I used TNT duplicators and..." Mumbo started talking about redstone. Keralis knew very little about redstone, he was more of a builder. Mumbo continued rambling about the redstone as he opened a chest.

"Hey wait a minute. I had way more stacks of gunpowder than this. Where did it all go?" Keralis walked up to the chest that Mumbo was looking in.

"That's not how much the farm produces?"

"No, Grian probably took it for his never ending rocket usage." Mumbo sighed. "Anyway, you wanted to see the trap?"

Groan. About five zombies pilled through a small opening next to the storage.

"Hey wait a minute! Is this the trap?" Keralis shouted, running away.

Mumbo glanced back as he pulled his sword out. It was a rather magnificent sword, being forged from steel and mixed with redstone bits and rubies. It's current job was to eliminate the infestation that was currently happening. While Mumbo killed the zombies, Keralis stayed in the back. He watched as Mumbo went into the hole and promptly walked out.

"Well, I guess that might be apart of the trap," Mumbo patched up the hole quickly with slime blocks. "Grian might have done it but...."

"I don't know this Grian guy well," Keralis picked his way carefully through the mess of shulkers. "But he doesn't seem to be the type who back stabs his friends.

Mumbo raised his eyebrow thoughtfully. "I don't know how that pertains to being dead, but Grian trapped me in an obsidian box once. Granted, Iskall helped him..."

Keralis laughed. These architechs. "Maybe we should try the game?"

Mumbo pulled out some string from his pocket. He gingerly wrapped it around the edge of the tripwire hook and pulled it tight. "There. All you have to do is walk over it and you'll be golden."

Keralis stepped on it and the floor opened to a hole. The Swede fell to the bottom, which was thankfully not that far down, and found himself in an iron room with a book. The book had some simple instructions including the warning: DO NOT BREAK ANY BLOCKS. THEY WILL BLOW UP. Do not test this.

A faint thud sounded from outside the box followed by Mumbo's muffled shouting. "I just dropped down into the redstone so don't blow anything up, okay?"

"Can't guarantee anything!" Keralis shouted back. Some music started playing. It had the notes that made his muscles tense up. Following the instructions of the book, Keralis started throwing eggs around. Some chickens spawned, and a few decided that the stone pressure plates were a good place to stand. An end crystal glowed in the center, and Keralis, who was still chucking eggs around, threw one a little too close. Instant explosion. TNT started getting dispensed at an alarming rate.

Mumbo hurried away as best as he could trapped in the redstone. Keralis heard the panicked man's reaction and laughed a little as the world went black. Saying 'Dude!' over and over probably wasn't the way he would panic.

I know this is very dialogue heavy, but I needed to explain the relationship between Mumbo and Keralis. They are old friends I'll give you that. This next one will be a little more difficult.

See you soon!

And Happy New Years! Ironic posting date.

-Buurn