Warrior Born

Word count: 1042                                                                                                                                                                  Recommended Song: Warrior by Beth Crowley

My story is one of betrayal. I'm often misunderstood because of my nature. I should have expected nothing less of new people to this world. Let me take you years back, before I was betrayed by fickle friends to the night that I was changed forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cleo watched as the sky above her darkened. Her nine year old self vaguely knew the dangers of being outside at night. That was when the undead came out. They were merciless in their pursuit of the living. They also resided deep in the caves beneath the luscious forests and oceans of her world. Cleo feared the Watchers more than anything. They were in the stories, known to take people and transport them to entirely different world. Tales were told of worlds that had massive mountains. The terrain was treacherous and resources were hard to come by.

She wandered a bit further away from the safety of the house. Her parents pasture lay to the right of her. Their family lived a simple farm life, but Cleo craved adventure. She had heard of great cities in other worlds, even spaceships that flew from world to world. Those people had visions and ambitions of a greater life beyond the farm. She longed for that life, but she could not.

Her family had no such ambitions, and wished to stay in their little farming village. Cleo took another few steps towards the setting sun. She trailed her fingers through her bright ginger colored hair that was unique to her. She glanced up at the stars slowly popping into existence. The stars that she wished to travel. Her feet continued to step forward as she didn't look where she was going.

A massive deep hole lay in front of her. She was beyond the borders of her village, so it hadn't been covered up. Cleo took one step to far and plummeted down to the bottom. Water broke her fall, but as she frantically looked around the blackness she heard a groan. A zombie. 

Pain seared through her body as poison flooded through her veins. Cleo blacked out as the undead surrounded her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cleo woke up on the stone cold floor of a dungeon. Torches were scattered around the tiny area. Someone had dragged her away from the monsters. Her back ached as she got up. She needed to get back to the surface. Cleo found a ladder as a way up to the surface, someone had definitely been here. But why hadn't they stayed?

The young girl put one hand on the ladder and winced. A clot had formed where the poison had first entered her body. Green tinged the wound and was slowly spreading along the capillaries of her hand. Cleo needed to get that treated before it spread across her body.

So she painstakingly climbed the ladder, hand then foot. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. All the while the green tinge spread across her hand and into her arm. When Cleo had finally reached a point where she could see sunlight the green had reached her shoulder. The green in her hand had turned a pale shade of green, as if the green had mixed with the pigment of her skin to be a light shade.

Finally she had reached the top. The sun was in the middle of the sky. Who knew how long she had been unconscious for. When she squinted, she could see the tops of the houses of her village. Her home was just a small distance away. However, Cleo found herself incapable of running as the poison seemed to have slowed her body down. She could barely walk. By the time she had reached the borders of her village, the poison had spread all through her body and turned herself a light shade of green. Her heart beat, steadily but growing fainter by the minute. 

Her knees collapsed and she fell barely catching herself with her hands. Her hair fell in greasy strands. Cleo heard a thud. Something had fallen out of her pocket that wasn't there before. A potion.

She grabbed it with her remaining energy and gulped it down. She collapsed further into the ground as her eyes slowly closed. Cleo heard faint voices as she went unconscious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do we do?" Cleo woke up to voices. Instead of opening her eyes she just listened, as she was still very weak.

"I'm not sure, she seems to have been poisoned by the undead but it didn't kill her." That was a strange voice.

Her father's voice spoke. "What do you mean? Is she going to kill us like the other undead?"

"No, she is still human but has been changed. She may be a little more, aggressive than before but you shouldn't see any huge changes."

Cleo's mind spun. Aggressive? Undead? Different? What had she become?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now you see how I became different. I had always been different, wanting to reach for the stars, but I had become different in a literal sense. After that, the village feared me. The kids stayed away from me and even my own father avoided me at times. When someone would wrong me I tended to get revenge. I suppose that is the side effects of the poison. Eventually I left the village, tired of being shunned by my own people. That is when I was taken away by the Watchers. 

Most of the people hate the Watchers. I will admit that they do take some away from their families and friends, but for me the saved me. I wanted to travel to a world where I would belong, and that's exactly what they did. They took me to Hermitcraft, where I am now.

The time where I have been betrayed. Believe me BDubs. I will get my revenge. No one lures Zombie Cleo into a trap that kills me without penance. Maybe I'll even get help from Xisuma. How ironic would that be?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, yes that was different. You didn't get to 'see' the death of Cleo. Maybe it will go in another story. This story is evolving to be better and better. You can only do the same story so many times. 

To be continued..............

-Buurn