Chapter 16 / Become an Agent

The day had come, the meeting with Zhan's parents was imminent and Yibo was very nervous and excited. They were sitting in the car and Zhan had to drive because Yibo could not concentrate. He had never been introduced to anyone's parents before and certainly not to his husband! Parents who were not only great special agents and were among the 6 great bosses, but also knew everything about him, his family and of course the Triad. Although Zhan had tried to calm him down, the more Zhan tried to do so, the more nervous Yibo became.

After about an hour's drive they reached Zhan's parents' house and Yibo felt he needed a shower and a new shirt. Zhan took Yibo by the hand and went with him into the house. Zhan's parents, who looked, like Yibo, looked like normal parents, greeted both of them friendly and with a big smile. "Dad, is this ugly sweater really necessary?" Zhan asked his father, who looked like a professor in his dark blue sweater. "A Zhan, cheeky as ever." His father replied laughing.

They went to the dining room where Zhan's mother proudly presented her home-cooked food. Something that looked like it was supposed to be rice and something else that must have been a fish before he got too close to the flames. "Mom? Have you tried cooking again?" Asked Zhan nervously. "Yes, and I think I did quite well this time." She responded radiantly. "Dad, do you still have that poisoning medicine in the house? Because I remember the last time Mom cooked." Asked Zhan worried. His father winked at him. "I have it in my pocket." He whispered in Zhan's ear.

"Mom, you cooked, you should be the first to try it." Suggested Zhan and his mother agreed with him. She took a bite of the burnt fish, shoved it in her mouth and pulled a face. "Um, well, I guess we could get some delivered, too. I don't think the fish is enough for four people." She said and secretly tried to spit out the piece of fish. While waiting for the ordered meals they talked to each other. "So Yibo, have you ever thought about changing your line of work?" Zhan's mother asked him. Yibo looked at her questioningly. "How come?" He wanted to know. "Well, you're married to a special agent and you lead a triad that kind of bites." She explained.

"It's not like I have a choice." Yibo said. "Oh, you do. Why should you have no choice?" Asked Zhan's father. "Well, if I disband the Triad now, there's gonna be a lot of criminals out of work in the city and they're gonna be in trouble. I mean, they want to make money and who's gonna hire them? In the Triad, they follow rules and do only what they're told. If they were taken away from them, they would run rampant through the city, robbing, murdering, et cetera." Explained Yibo. "Well, then why don't you give the power to your uncle? He was supposed to lead the triad then anyway, but your father took it." Said Zhan's mother.

Yibo looked at her confused. "My uncle? Which uncle?" He asked. Zhan's father took out his tablet and showed Yibo his uncle's profile. "This is your uncle. He was your grandpa's favorite and was supposed to lead the triad. But when your grandfather was murdered, your father is suspected to be behind it, he turned the men against your uncle so that they did not accept him as leader. He may have retreated, but if you asked him, I'm sure he's willing to lead the Triad." Zhan's father replied. "So what do I do? I never learned anything else, who would give someone like me a chance?" Asked Yibo.

"The Agency! Join us and become an agent!" suggested Zhan's mother. "Ah? You want me to be an agent?" Asked Yibo in shock. Yibo looked questioningly at Zhan. "Well, you wouldn't be the first to join the Agency who had another life before." Explained Zhan. "Another life, ah yes. You can call it that." Said Yibo sarcastically. "Well you should at least think about it. Even for Zhan. Consider it a small price to pay for shooting and almost killing our son." Said Zhan's father. "Yes, we know the truth. We're the ones who caught your brother and as soon as he was handcuffed in our car, he started telling everything." Said Zhan's mother.

"Ah, don't worry, we're not angry with you anymore. We see how much you love our son and how much you regret it. We know you originally wanted to help Zhan and that went wrong. All your actions afterwards proved that to us. And declaring war on the city if they don't hand Zhan over to you really touched me as his mother." Said Zhan's mother with a big smile. Yibo wondered if she was just pretending to understand or if she meant it honestly. "Either way, think about it. And hey, you should think about becoming Zhan's partner. He doesn't have one yet. And that way you could make sure nothing happens to him." Explained Zhan's father.

After visiting his in-laws, Yibo wondered. When they suggested he go to the agency sounded like a joke to him at first. But the thought that he could be Zhan's partner and that he could take care of him that way, never left him. Was becoming an agent really an option? And if so, would his uncle really lead the Triad? "Where are we actually going?" Asked Yibo when he realized that this was not the way to the house. "To my apartment. You've never been there and I would like to spend the night with you there." Explained Zhan and stroked Yibo over his knee. Yibo smiled. "Just overnight honey?" He asked Zhan and Zhan shook his head grinning. "No way! As my husband, you have duties to fulfill!" Said Zhan laughing.

"Ah, these duties always, but for you, I'm happy to do them." Replied to Yibo and gave Zhan a kiss on the cheek. "Hey honey, do you think it's really a good idea if I become an agent?" Asked Yibo, who could not stop asking the question. "I think so. You know how to use weapons, so if you have a clear view. You can manipulate others without their knowledge. You know about interrogation... what am I enumerating? Think about it calmly and when you've decided, we'll tell my parents and then we'll see." Gave Zhan an answer. "Would it make you happy ZhanZhan?" Yibo wanted to know. "Well I wouldn't be averse if my husband was my partner in the agency. But you have to decide for yourself. I love you anyway." Explained Zhan and parked the car in front of a well secured apartment complex.

" Explained Zhan and parked the car in front of a well secured apartment complex