Chapter 28 Yibo / Why did I do this?

Yibo lay in his bed and fought with his tears. Zhan had left and it was his own fault. Why hadn't he just taken Zhan in his arms when he saw him? Why did he pretend not to care that he came to talk to him? He had ignored Zhan for weeks now and he knew he could lose him. Still, he could not bring himself to talk to Zhan. His uncle had told him very clearly that it was better to keep Zhan out of everything and not tell him anything more. If Zhan knew too much, he could betray the Triad and get them all in big trouble. Moreover, his uncle told him that it's not good to be married to a man like Xiao Zhan, as he is a damn good agent and there is no way to know if he isn't secretly undercover with them after all.

At first Yibo didn't want to believe any of this, he was his Zhan, his husband who loves him, he was 100% convinced of that. But whenever Zhan asked him how the work was going and what they were doing, the words of his uncle kept in the back of his head and he closed himself more and more. He no longer trusted Zhan and was no longer sure if he wanted to stay married to him. Of course he loved his husband, but a marriage without trust is unthinkable for him. Not in his business. "We are too different." Said Yibo to himself and wiped a tear from his eye.

The next morning Yibo drove to the office and told his uncle about Zhan's visit. "You see? He is going undercover again, he is an agent through and through and he cannot be trusted. He loves to infiltrate and expose others." Said his uncle after Yibo told him what Zhan told him. As he had done many times in the past few weeks, his uncle reached into one of his drawers again and pulled out a brown envelope. "You know what to do, my boy." He said and handed the envelope to Yibo. Yibo pulled out the documents it contained a piece and looked thoughtfully, as he often did, at the words, "Divorce papers."

Until now, Yibo had always given the papers back to his uncle wordlessly, now he had been holding them in his hands for minutes. "Remember, if he's working undercover now, he's gonna have to get involved with someone. As a special agent, he's not your husband, he's an agent who has to get close to someone, very close, to expose that person." Said Yibo's uncle. Yibo had heard enough, he pulled the papers out of the envelope, took a pencil and put his signature on every single page and then gave this, wordlessly, to his uncle. "I see you have finally come to your senses." Explained his uncle with a big grin on his face.

Yibo knew that his uncle was manipulating him, but he also knew that it worked. He would have loved to take the divorce papers back immediately and tore them up, but one of his uncle's men had already been called. "Take the papers and take them to the lawyer. Tell him to take care of it today." Said his uncle and the man was on the road again and this time with the divorce papers. Yibo's heart hurt and he was sick. How would he explain all this to Zhan? Would he even be able to explain it? With a guilty conscience at least as big as all of Asia, he went into his office and stared at the picture of Zhan on his desk. "Sorry, honey." He said and opened his laptop.

A week had already passed since he had signed the divorce papers and since then, he felt like bad. When he came into his office that morning, sat down at his desk as usual and wanted to look at the picture of Zhan, the picture was gone. So had all the little notes that he and Zhan had exchanged. But now there was a ring in front of him, on his laptop, the wedding ring of Zhan! Also a letter. Yibo opened it with trembling hands. "Annulment of the marriage..." he read and burst into tears. Wenhan, who had just entered the office to discuss the daily routine with Yibo, was shocked by this sight. Wenhan closed the office door and asked Yibo what had happened.

Yibo showed him the letter. "Your marriage has been dissolved? But why? I thought the Agency wasn't against your marriage." He asked. "I know OK? It's my fault. Uncle talked me into divorce and a week ago I signed the papers and this was on my desk this morning." Said Yibo and threw Zhan's wedding ring through the office to the other side of the wall. "Why'd you do that, you idiot?" Asked Wenhan angrily. "Because Zhan and I are too different. His job and my job as leader of a triad don't mix." He explained and caught a slap in the face from his best friend.

Yibo stared at Wenhan hating but also questioning. "You are such an asshole. Zhan has been protecting you and our triad all along! Did you know that? You don't know that, do you? You're such an idiot, I can't believe it. You supposedly love Zhan more than anything and then let your uncle manipulate you like this and drive away the only person who loves you more than anything else as well? You are beyond help." Said Wenhan, threw his clipboard on the table and stormed out of the office, of course not without loudly slamming the door.

All day long, the words of his best friend did not let go of him and when he came home, the next surprise hit him. Everything that could indicate that Zhan had ever been in this house had disappeared! Yibo ran to his mother who was sitting in the kitchen and just opened a bottle of red wine, looking as if she had already had two bottles. "Where are Zhan's things? The pictures and all?" He asked his mother. "Well, son, about 20 men came here today, all in black suits and took everything. They searched every room and put everything in boxes. They said,  you weren't married anymore." Explained his mother.

Furiously, Yibo ran to the garage, got out his motorcycle and raced to Zhan's apartment. As soon as he tried to ring the doorbell, he noticed that the nameplate was gone. A resident just came out of the door and Yibo took the chance and slipped through the crack in the door. Arriving at the top of the apartment, he rang and knocked, but apart from a reverberation of his actions, nothing could be heard. "Oh young man, are you looking for the nice man?" Asked an old woman who was sticking her head out of the apartment next door. Yibo nodded. "I'm afraid you're too late. Last night many men came to empty the apartment." She said and went back to her apartment.

He took out his phone from his pocket and tried to reach Yu Bin, but the number no longer existed. "Damn it." Yibo screamed and stormed off. He ran to his motorbike and made his way to the headquarters. When he arrived there, he wanted to go straight up, as usual, but was stopped by an agent. "I'm sorry, but I can't let you through. Your clearance has been revoked." Said the agent, then called Yu Bin. Ten minutes later, Yu Bin came down and offered his hand to Yibo. But he just stared at her and did not return the greeting. "Where is he?" Ask Yibo instead.

l'm sorry. But I cannot give you that information. Said Yu Bin to Yibo. "Damn it, tell me! I want to talk to him!" Explained Yibo gritting his teeth. "I don't know it! From one day to the next, a resignation was on my desk and men came here, packing all his belongings and removing every last bit of information from our system. I don't know who these men are, but they were thorough, and even Zhan's parents have no idea where he is." Explained Yu Bin. Why did I do that? Yibo asked himself.

 Why did I do that? Yibo asked himself