Chapter 23 / Zhan Another failure

They had now been after the head of the terror cell for almost two months and found nothing but left behind followers of the group or dead bodies. Every new tip led them to another abandoned place and with every further failure, they became more frustrated. They all wanted to go home and finally be with their loved ones and families again, even Ling Man was frustrated. Zhan hoped that Yibo was well and that he was still waiting for him. It made him crazy not to know. The only information he got so far, and he related it directly to his husband, was that He Peng disappeared without a trace.

Back then, when they found the two agents, Zhan had given one of them a message and said it was for Yu Bin, who apparently understood immediately who this message was for and passed it on. A few days later, a message came in over the radio that one of the High Six was missing. Jiang Cheng had asked which one and when it was called He Peng, he almost jumped into the air. Later, when the drone was no longer above them, Jiang Cheng thanked Zhan. "I didn't think your husband would actually do it." He said to Zhan and Zhan smiled. "My husband would do anything for me." He replied happily.

Slowly but surely Zhan had have enough and just wanted to go home. If he could at least talk to Yibo, but even that was not possible. He had to think of something. But not only for himself, but also for the others. There had to be a solution. Zhan was informed that relatives could watch videos of their outreaches, maybe they had to find something to tell their loved ones that they think of them and miss them. But now, they first had to prepare for their next outreach.

"OK, we'll go in tonight. According to Ling Man, there are four guards outside the door and another three behind it. According to informants, there are at least two guards in each room. And in the kitchen there is supposed to be an access, a kind of trap door into a basement hallway. It is unclear to what extent this information is correct and whether there really is this basement corridor that can lead us to our destination. As always, we should be prepared for anything. No going off on your own, watch out for your neighbor. I know I say this every time, but I feel like it can't be said often enough." Said Zhan before they started the next mission.

Two hours after their mission, the men were sitting in the kitchen of the house they were taking. "Another failure." Noticed Ling Man frustrated. They hadn't found the target, nor was there this ominous basement hallway. Also, Zhan had been grazed, luckily only in the upper arm. A woman pretending to be a victim of this group had grabbed one of a dead man's rifles and shot around her, injuring Zhan's upper arm. Hae Jin dressed his wound and cursed in Korean. Lee Seung Gi stared holes in the air and shook his head now and then.

"We shouldn't rely only on Division and their drone, or on those informants who I think have too much information." Said Zhan after he put his clothes back on. Lee Seung Gi agreed with him. "I also think we should do our own research. They're hardly likely to be stupid enough to run around the desert without cover, telling everyone where they're hiding what or who." He replied and Zhan nodded. The others also agreed with him. "Starting tomorrow, let's use our own methods. Maybe that will help us." Said Ling Man and sharpened his knife.

After a restless night, somewhere to the east there were shots again, the four agents decided to go their own way and this led them to the east, in the direction of the shots. Headquarters had advised against it, according to them the drone had pointed suspicious people towards the west. But they were fed up with all these alleged suspects and wanted to go where something actually happened. They filled their water bottles, checked their weapons and packed their equipment, then they set off.

"Zhan?" Asked a voice on the radio. "Mom? What do you want?" Zhan asked and Jiang Cheng looked at him questioningly. "Please be careful, OK?" She said and Zhan shook his head. "Mom, I wasn't gonna just walk in there, don't worry." He replied. "Remember that you have someone waiting for you at home." She said, and Zhan got angry. "You think I don't know that? Don't you think I know that? We all have somebody back home and we want nothing more than to finish this crappy mission and get the hell out of here." He hissed and the others agreed with him.

Zhan would have liked to ask his mother about Yibo, but he knew she wouldn't tell him anything and it would have been unfair to the others if he got information from home and the others didn't. However, he almost didn't care anymore. Apart from that they didn't have an unpredictable man at home who could go crazy at any time. I bet the Triad would have found that bastard long ago, Zhan thought bitterly and missed Yibo even more. Ling Man tore Zhan from his thoughts when he waved Zhan to him.

"I think we're on the right track." Zhan said, staring at the many corpses lying in the middle of the sun and already rotting. "Central, are you seeing this?" Asked Zhan, but nothing as static came through the headset. "Apparently, the drone is gone." Said Ling Man looking up at the sky. Zhan and the others went on, passing a few tents left behind, probably the dead ones, as Zhan assumed. They kept the camera running all the time and broadcast everything live. In case the drone was still around somewhere.

Ling Man stopped Jiang Cheng, who had gone ahead. "What?" Jiang Cheng asked annoyed. Ling Man took a stone and threw it on the ground a few meters in front of him. An explosion occurred. "Fuck man, are you kidding me? Are you serious?" Cawed Jiang Cheng. "We are definitely on the right track, everybody keep your eyes open. Ling Man is going first." Said Zhan and was once again grateful for this great agent who saved their asses once again.

" Said Zhan and was once again grateful for this great agent who saved their asses once again