Chapter 5: Spot Conlon

Recap~ "Oh, and Denton? No pictures." Jack told him.

"Sure." Denton said, walking out of the diner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Flip's POV*

"I've never been to Brooklyn, you?" David asked Boots as we walked along the Brooklyn Bridge.

"Really?" Boots asked him. "I spend a month there one night." Boots told him.

"I grew up in Brooklyn. Watch this." I told David, smirking as Jack and I screamed over the bridge, creating an echo; Jack and I started to laugh.

"So, is this Spot Conlon really dangerous?" David asked us as we continued to walk.

"He tougher than I am." I told him.

"But I'd say Flip here and Spot equal out in power." Jack said, swinging his arm around my shoulders.

"Is that a good thing or bad?" David asked him.

"I've seen her knock out a guy with a single uppercut to the jaw. She's dangerous...so is Spot." Jack told him as I did a hair flip.

"But inside, he's a teddy bear." I joked, causing the boys to laugh as we walked off the bridge.

"You'll find the Brooklyn Newsies at the dock." I told David, leading the way as we walked onto the dock, seeing a lot of boys.

"Going somewhere, Kelly?" a Brooklyn Newsie asked, standing in our way.

"Move closer." I heard someone say as we started to walk again.

"See you later, Cora." Another Brooklyn Newsie who goes by the name of Thorn said to me, smirking.

"I think not, Thorn." I told him, walking past him.

"Well, if it ain't Jack Be Nimble, Jack Be Quick." Spot said from his spot on top of all the crates.

"So you moved up in the world, Spot. Got a river view and everything." Jack said to Spot as the four of us made our way to the bottom of the crates. Spot jumped down from the crates, looking at us as Jack spit in his hand. Spot smirked, spitting in his hand as the two of them shook hands.

"Hey, Boots, how's it rolling?" Spot asked as Boots walked up to him.

"Here, I got a couple of real good shooters here." Boots said, handing Spot some marbles.

"Yea." Spot said, taking a blue one. "So, Jackie boy, who's the doll?" Spot asked, smirking at me as he put the marble in his slingshot as Jack took a step back. Spot shot the slingshot right past my head, hitting a beer bottle behind me. "I like her." Spot said, looking at me, referring to the fact that I didn't flinch at all. "I've been hearing a thing from little boirds." Spot told him.

"Yea?" Jack questioned.

"Things from Harlem, Queens, all over. They're chirping in my ear." Spot told Jack, putting his slingshot down. "Jackie boy's Newsies is playing like they're going on strike." Spot said to all of us, walking up to me.

"We are." I told him as he took an even closer step to me. "We're not playing, Spot. This strike is happening right now." I told him.

"Oh, yea? Yea?" Spot questioned, getting in my face. "What is this, Jackie boy? Some kind of walking mouth?" Spot asked Jack, still looking at me. I looked back at Spot, no fear evident in my eyes.