Chapter 11: Mr. Pulitzer's End

"Has anyone seen Spot or Brooklyn?" I asked the boys as they all shook their heads as the wagon stopped.

"Go get him." Jack said to me, smiling as I noticed we stopped right off the Brooklyn Bridge.

"I'll be back." I told him, grabbing a few articles as I jumped off the wagon, running across the bridge and into Brooklyn. I ran off the bridge, walking onto Spot Conlon's dock as the boys all looked at me.

"Flip, what you doing 'ere?" one of the Brooklyn Newsies asked me.

"Where's Spot?" I asked him, looking around.

"Why do you wanna see him?" he asked me as I handed him one of the articles. "Check the beach." He told me as he passed the article around, the other boys reading it as I walked down the beach, seeing Spot standing on a rock, looking at the water.

"I will never understand why you find the water so interesting." I joked as I stood next to him.

"If you're trying to convince me to come back, don't even try." Spot said to me, not even looking at me.

"Well...that's exactly why I'm here." I told him as he looked at me.

"What? Manhattan need Brooklyn again?" he asked me.

"No. I need Spot Conlon." I told him as I grabbed his hand as he looked at our hands before looking up at me.

"What do you need?" he asked, facing me.

"I need you to read this...and make the right decision...again." I told him, smiling as I handed him the article.

He looked down to read it and when he looked up, I was gone. "Flip?" Spot questioned, looking around, but couldn't find me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So when's the others coming, Flip?" Mush asked me as I met up with the Manhattan boys at the Square.

"I don't think they're coming." I told him as Jack walked up to me. "After Brooklyn left, everyone followed suit."

"Ain't gonna be nobody but us." Jack told us as Les walked up to us as Jack hugged him.

"Come on, guys." Skittery said, patting mine and Jack's backs.

"Have hope, Jack." Specs said to Jack.

"They're gonna come." Blink said to me as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. Les then walked away as Race followed.

[LES]
When the circulation bell starts ringin', will we hear it?

[RACETRACK]
Nah. What if the Delancey's come out swingin', will we hear it?

[LES]
No!

I smiled at Les as we all started to walk towards him and Race. "Attaboy." Race said to him.

"It's gonna be ok." I said to Les as I put my hands on his shoulders.

"It's all right." Race said, throwing him his cigarette as I heard cheers.

"Look!" Mush shouted, pointing as we saw a parade of the kids from the sweatshops and slaughterhouses walking towards us.

[ENSEMBLE]
When you got a million voices singin', who can hear a lousy whistle blow? And the world will know!

"Brooklyn!" I heard Spot shout as we saw all of the Brooklyn Newsies walk up to us.

"Didn't think you were gonna show up." I said to him, smiling.