Chapter 22: Newsies

Skittery's POV*

"I really hope dis works." I said to Mush as he readjusted the Newsies hat on his head.

"So you know our backstories?" Mush asked me as I nodded.

"My name is Eliot Davidson and your Micea Runner, also known as Cutthroat and Razor. We was just kicked out by the Staten Island Newsies for supportin' what Da Bronx was doin' to them other boroughs." I said to Mush as he nodded.

"So...what did Corkscrew tell us about Da Bronx Newsies?" I asked Mush.

"They're strong, but have no brains or somethin' like dat." Mush told me as the buildings started to get more and more run-down as we walked into The Bronx.

"I think I like Manhattan betta." I whispered to Mush as he agreed.

"Why does The Bronx want the other boroughs anyway?" Mush asked me.

"Dey want more sellin' space." I told him as I noticed someone following us. "Dere's someone followin' us." I whispered to Mush as I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"What are youse Newsies doing in The Bronx?" questioned the boy that grabbed us as Mush and I faced him. Noah, the boy that helped Kayden almost kill Flip.

"We want to talk with Cory." Mush said to him in a Bronx accent.

"Why youse want to talk to Cory?" Noah asked us.

"That doesn't concern you." I growled, taking a step forward as Noah took a step back.

"Why do youse wanna talk to Cory?" Noah asked us again, crossing his arms.

"We want to join The Bronx Newsies." Mush told him as Noah smirked at us.

"Follow me." Noah said to us, walking away. Mush and I looked at each other before following Noah.

"I don' like dis." Mush whispered to me as I elbowed him, motioning for him to be silent as we followed Noah into the woods.

"Your hangout is in da woods?" I questioned as the three of us walked deeper in.

"Ya. The bulls don't check the woods." Noah said to me as an abandoned building came into view. We walked up to the building, seeing a lot of Newsies outside, looking at us and smoking.

"Let's hope no one recognizes us." I whispered to Mush as he silently agreed.

"Go inside. He's in the main room." Noah said, motioning inside with his head.

"Inside?" I questioned as Noah nodded. Mush and I walked inside, our eyes adjusting to the dark as we walked down the hall, walking into a giant room, seeing Cory talking to a few of his boys, twirling a knife in his fingers.

"I was told Newsies entered my territory." Cory said as he turned around, facing us. "What are youse doing here?" he asked, pointing his knife at us as we walked up to him.

"We want to join your Newsies." Mush said to him bluntly as he let out a laugh.

"There's a lot of nicer boroughs out dere in New York. Why not go to one of dem?" Cory asked us as Mush and I glanced at each other before looking back at him.

"We was kicked out of Staten Island for supportin' what you do to dem other boroughs. M...Razor and I both agree dat dere should only be one powerhouse of Newsies...The Bronx...the strongest." I said to Cory as he smirked at us.

"What're yourse names?" Cory asked us as I saw Mush glance over somewhere.

"I'm Cutthroat and this is Razor." I said to Cory, introducing ourselves.

"What're your real names? The names your parents gave ya?" Cory asked us, crossing his arms.

"I'm Micea Runner and this is Eliot Davidson." Mush said, introducing both of us to Cory.

"So...Cutthroat and Razor?" Cory questioned, looking me and Mush as he gave Cory a single nod.

"You know Flip of Manhattan?" Cory asked the two of us.

"Doesn't everyone? She was one of the leaders of the Strike last year." Mush said to him.

"Well, she's here. You two want to be in my Newsies, you have to do somethin'...to her." Cory said to them, smirking.

"Like what?" I asked him wearily. Cory looked at us, smirking as he handed me a shiv. 

"You want us to stab her?" Mush questioned as he and I looked at the knife. 

"And if we don't?" I asked Cory immediately.

"If youse don't, I'll kill ya." Cory growled, pointing the knife at the two of us as Mush glanced away for a second before looking back again.

"Lead the way." Mush said, smirking as I looked at him. Once Cory looked away, Mush brought his lips to my ear and whispered, "I saw Flip. She's free." I looked at him, giving him a nod as Cory looked back at us.

"Right this way." Cory said to us, leading us towards a corridor and I swear, I just saw two people turn a corner, out of view; Mush saw it too as we looked at Cory, but I don't think he saw it.

"So, how'd you get your hands on the Queen of Manhattan? She's tough to get wit all her boys wit 'er." I asked Cory as the three of us walked down the corridor.

"It was easy. I captured one of 'er younger Newsies and she quickly traded herself for da boy." Cory said to us as I glanced at Mush, knowing he was talkin' about Les. "That girl thinks she's smart, but she ain't." he added as we all heard an explosion.

"What the?" Mush muttered as the three of us ran down the hall, seeing this man drag Flip and some other guy out of a hole in the side of the building.

"Give me back my prizes!" Cory shouted, pulling out a gun, shooting the man, but to bullets just bounced off him as he left with Flip and the other guy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How'd you two get away?" Jack asked us as Mush and I stood in the lobby of the Lodging House, the older kids surrounding us as the younger kids are upstairs.

"After the explosion, while Cory was distracted, we bolted the hell outta dere." Mush said to him as I nodded.

"Ok, ok, ok. So tell me about this man one more time." Spot said to us, still confused about what happened.

"This man...he was I think bald and wearing a white lab coat, he grabbed Flip and some other guy, dragging them out as Cory's bullets bounced off him like dey didn't even touch him!" I told him, still confused about what happened.

"Wait, who was the other guy?" Corkscrew asked us.

"Um...16, maybe 17 years old. Dirty blonde hair, and he had a bandage wrapped around his torso like it was covering up a stab wound." I told her as she looked at the remaining Queens Newsies. "What is it?" I asked her.

"That sounds just like Logan, my second-in-command." I said to him.

"But it can't be. Kayden and Noah plunged a knife into his abdomen. There's no way he survived." Runt pointed out.

"But he could've." She said to him, standing up. 

If only Corkscrew knew 😏. Anyways, please comment and vote!

StarWarrior...signing off!

FYI - next chapter is where things get crazy!