Chapter 6: Break-Out

Recap~ "But I'm always the one protecting him." I muttered as he rubbed my back.

"David, Flip." Jack said as the two of us looked at Jack. "We're breaking him out. Tonight." Jack told us as I nodded. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flip's POV*

The three of us walked down the street, dressed in all black as we stood outside the gate. "So here it is, the Refuge. My home sweet home." Jack told me and David.

"How can you be sure they sent Crutchy here?" David asked him.

"How can I be sure the Delancey's stink? It's just the way things work, you know? An orphan gets arrested, Snyder makes sure he gets sent straight here so he can rehabilitate him, you know?" I told David as he listened.

"The more kids in the Refuge, the more money the city sends to take care of them, the more Snyder sticks in his pocket. He's here." Jack said, moving towards the gate.

"So how come you brought the rope?" David asked Jack as we heard footsteps coming towards the gate. The three of us bolted, hiding behind a wall as the gate opened. The three of us snuck past the wagon, running into the Refuge as we climbed a fire escape ladder, going up to the roof.

"You know the plan?" Jack asked as he tied the rope around my waist.

"Yep. Find Crutchy and get him out of here." I told him as he nodded.

"Ok, you're good." He told me as I nodded. "Flip, be careful." He told me in that brotherly tone as I got off the roof.

"Gently, Jack, gently." I whispered as I was slowly lowered. "That's good. That's good." I told him as the rope stopped. I knocked on the window as a younger kid opened it.

"Flip, you miss the joint?" Ten-Pin said to me.

"What do you say, Ten-Pin?" I questioned, smirking. "Listen, you got a new guy in here, Crutchy." I told him.

"The gimp?" Pin asked as I nodded. "I'll get him for you." He told me as I thanked him.

"Gimp." I muttered to myself as I saw Crutchy look at me from his bunk. "Hey, Crutchy." I said, smiling at him.

"I don't believe it." Crutchy said as another boy had to help with walk. "Hey, thanks." He said to the kid as he walked away. "Hey, what are you hanging around here for, huh?" Crutchy asked me, chuckling.

"Your puns are getting better." I told him, also chuckling. "You know who's up on the roof?" I asked him.

"Who?" he asked.

"Jack and David." I told him.

"Is that Jack and Dave?" Crutchy asked, smirking as he looked up through the window. "Hey, guys, how you doing?" he asked them as they shushed him.

"Crutchy, go get your stuff. We're getting you out of here." I told him, smirking.

"Well, uh...actually, I ain't walking so good. Oscar and Morris kind of worked me over a little, you know?" Crutchy told me as I slowly nodded.

"They hurt you?" I asked him as he nodded. "Crutchy, don't worry about it. Jack and David can carry you outta here." I told him.

"Hey, I don't want nobody carrying me. Never, do you hear?" Crutchy asked me as I sighed, nodding. "Hey, hey Davey. You know, they still talk about how Jack rode out of here on that coach." Crutchy said to him.