Chapter 17: Corkscrew

Flip's POV*

"That can't be." I muttered to myself, looking at the girl as I jumped off the base of the statue.

"Flip, who is that?" Skittery asked me as I grin broke out on my face as I ran up to the girl, engulfing her in a hug.

"Cora, it's been so long!" Amber shouted, hugging me.

"Amber, I thought I'd never see you again." I said to her as the boys walked up to us. "Oh, right. Amber, this is David and Les Jacobs, Jack Kelly, Racetrack, Crutchy, Mush, Kid Blink, Specs, and Skittery. Guys, this is Amber...my sister." I said as the boys looked at me, shocked.

"You have a sister!" Race exclaimed, surprised.

"Um, yea. Younger sister." I told him.

"I didn't know you had a sista." Jack said to me, looking at Amber.

"I would actually prefer it if you called me Corkscrew, my nickname." Amber said to the boys as they nodded.

"Wait, Corkscrew." Blink muttered to himself, thinking. "Wait, I know who you are! Youse the leader of the Queens Newsies!" Blink exclaimed, grinning.

"Must be an honor to have the leader of Queens in my territory." I joked, putting my hand on my hip as she got serious again.

"I need your help." She said to me seriously as all the jokiness left my face.

"With what?" I asked her, ready to help.

Corkscrew, looking around, unsure before looking back at me. "Get Brooklyn...and I'll explain everything." Corkscrew told me as I nodded.

"Race." I said as he looked at me. "Go to Brooklyn and get Spot. Tell him to bring his Newsies and meet us at the Lodging House." I told him as he nodded, running off towards Brooklyn.

"What are we gonna do?" Specs asked me as I glanced at Corkscrew.

"Let's head back to the Lodging House. David, Les, Mush, Crutchy, I want the four of you to go around the town to find our Newsies and send them back. If I think I know what Corkscrew needs to talk about, it's not safe for the younger ones to be on the street alone." I told the four of them as they nodded, running off and splitting up. The rest of us that are left headed back to the Lodging House as we all walked in, seeing Kloppman at his desk.

"I'll take her upstairs while you talk to Kloppman." Blink whispered to me as I nodded.

"Kloppman." I said, walking up to him as the boys all walked upstairs.

"Flip, what can I do for you?" he asked me, sending me a smile.

"That girl that just came in, her name's Corkscrew. She's my sister." I started as Kloppman nodded. "We're having a meeting, so when Brooklyn shows up, can you send them upstairs?" I asked him as he nodded. "Thanks." I said, tapping his desk once as I walked upstairs.

"Corkscrew, you can take the bed under me." I told my sister, walking up to my bed, leaning against the bedframe.

"But that's my bed." Blink whined as I looked at him.

"Well...my sister is now sleeping in it." I told him.

"Where am I supposed to sleep then?" he asked me as I smirked at him.

"I hear the floor is a nice part of the room these days." I joked as some of the boys let out a laugh.

"How about we share a bed?" he asked me, smirking.