Chapter 8: King of New York

Flip's POV*

"Hey, fellas." Denton said, walking into the diner.

"Hey, Denton." I said, giving him a half-wave.

"This is it." Denton said, walking around the room with the printed article. "You're in this too, yeah." He said to a boy. "Hey, hey, big time." Denton said, laying the pape in front of me and Jack.

"What you got there, Jack?" Blink asked as Jack and I were immediately swarmed by the other Newsies.

"Where's my picture?" Spot asked, hovering over my shoulder.

"We're both in it." I said Spot as I grabbed his hand as he smiled, giving it a gentle squeeze.

"Hey, all of them words there, they all about us?" Boots asked as Jack and I read over the article.

"Look, Jack. You look like a general." Mush said, pointing.

"Get your fingers off my face." Jack told him, chuckling.

"Where does it say my name? Where's my name?" Spot asked, still looking over my shoulder.

"Quit thinking about yourself." Jack told him.

"Wait, wait, wait." Blink said as he smirked at me and Spot.

"Blink, I swear to God." I told him, a small smile cracking on my lips.

"Flip, what's with da arm around your waist and da holding of hands?" Blink asked me, smirking as I groaned, hiding my face to hide my massive blush right about now.

"You hurt our sista, we hurt you." Race said, looking at Spot.

"Race!" I exclaimed, pushing him as he laughed.

"I wouldn't dream of hurting her, Racetrack." Spot told him, smirking at me.

"Well, you got us on the front page." David said to Denton as I looked at him.

"You got yourselves on the front page. I just gotta make sure you stay there." Denton told him.

"So what, youse get your picture in the papes? So, what's that to you, huh?" Skittery asked us as we all looked at him.

"Hey, what are youse talking about, huh?" Mush questioned, standing up.

"Hey, shut up. You've been in a bad mood all day." Jack told him as we all argued a little.

"I'm not in a bad mood." Skittery told him.

"You've been glum and dumb. What's the matter with you?" Race asked, slapping Skittery's face.

"Skittery, you're in the papes, you're famous. You're famous, you get anything you want." I told him as Race agreed.

"And that's what's so great about New York." Race said, slamming his hand down on the table we everyone agreed with him.

[MUSH]                                                                                                                               A pair o' new shoes with matchin' laces.

[RACETRACK]                                                                                                                A permanent box at Sheepshead Races.