Chapter 15: Queens

Mystery 1st POV* At Night

The Queens Newsies just turned in for the night inside of the Queens Newsboys Lodging House. That night, one of the younger kids jolted up from his bed, awakening from a nightmare. He sat up, panting as he quietly got out of his bed, slipping on some shoes as he walked downstairs. He grabbed a light jacket, putting it on as he walked outside. He walked down the street, just getting some fresh air as he noticed two older boys following him. He gulped, crossing the street, trying to head back for the Lodging House, but the two boys also crossed the street, stopping him. "Well, if it isn't the runt." One of the boys said, smirking as he pushed over Runt, one of the Queens Newsies.

"What d-do you want?" Runt asked, scared as he backed up against the side of a building.

"We're makin' a point." Boy 1 said, flicking out a switchblade, pressing it against Runt's neck. He whimpered as he felt a stream of blood flow down his neck.

"Kayden, we gotta do worse than a little cut." Boy 2 said as Kayden put the switchblade back into his pocket. Kayden then looked at Runt, picking him up by his shirt and pinning him against the brick wall; Runt cried out in pain as he sucked in a breath.

"Anything in mind, Noah?" Kayden asked his partner, smirking.

"We need to make a point out of him if we want to continue with the plan." Noah told him as Kayden nodded, looking back at Runt.

"What plan?" Runt squeaked out as Noah smirked at him. Noah brought back his fist, punching Runt's face as his head smacked into the wall. Runt then winced in pain as he just felt a sticky substance start to stick to his hair. Noah then threw Runt on the ground as the two boys jumped him, beating him up until his face was covered in blood. The two boys looked at Runt, smirking as Kayden bent down, whispering something into Runt's ear, causing him to whimper gain.

"See you later, Runt." Noah said, smirking as he and Kayden walked away, leaving Runt there on the ground.

After laying on the ground for a few minutes, he shakily stood up, wiping at his bloody nose as he stumbled back to the Queens Newsboys Lodging House. He stumbled along the road, crossing the street. He eventually got to the Lodging House as he walked in. He stumbled up the stairs, slamming the bedroom door open, turning on the lights as all the Newsies inside shouted in protest. "Runt, turn it off! We're sleeping! What's the matta wit'chu?" Stone asked, glaring at Runt.

"Runt, turn off the damn light!" I exclaimed, sitting up, seeing Runt's face. "Runt! What happened to you!" I asked, concerned, climbing out of bed as I tied my long, blonde hair up into a messy bun.

"Runt, what happened to you?" Logan, my second-in-command asked as he got out of bed, walking to my side.

"Runt, we can't help ya if you don't tell us." I told Runt as now all the Newsies were up, looking at him.

"I had a nightmare again, so I went outside for some air." Runt started in a whisper. "When I went outside, these two older boys jumped me and beat me up. Before they left, one of them whispered something to me." Runt told Logan and I.

"What did they whisper to ya?" Logan asked him.

"Eastside has fallen and beware...Queens in next." Runt whispered as me and Logan looked at each other, knowing what that means. "What does that mean?" Runt asked them.

"It means I need to see my sister." I told him as I stood up, walking over to my bed as I grabbed my Newsies clothes on the ground, next to it.