Chapter 9: Rally with the Bulls

Recap~ "To our man, Denton!" we all exclaimed, raising a glass.

"Flip, any comment you want to make?" Jack asked me, smirking.

"Like Alexander Hamilton said, 'Raise a glass...to freedom'." I said as everyone cheered. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Flip's POV*

"Excuse...excuse me." I heard Kloppman say as I looked over, seeing Snyder. "Can I help you?" he asked him.

"You have a boy who calls himself Jack Kelly? I wish to see him." Snyder asked Kloppman.

"Jack Kelly? Jack...never heard of him." Kloppman said to Snyder as I elbowed Race and Blink as the three of us stood up. "Any of you boys ever heard of Jack Kelly?" Kloppman asked us.

"That's an unusual name for these parts." Specs told him.

"Oh, you mean Jack Kelly." I said as everyone looked at me. I glanced at Jack, walking up to Snyder as Race and Blink tried to pull me back. "Yea, he was here, but he put an egg in his shoe and beat it." I said, smirking as everyone started to die laughing. I walked back to Race and Blink, fist-bumping them as Jack snuck around Snyder, following him around.

"I have reason to believe that he is an escaped prisoner, possibly dangerous." Snyder told Kloppman as I rolled my eyes.

"Oh. Is he dangerous?" Kloppman questioned as Jack snuck up behind Snyder, mocking him without Snyder noticing. "I better look in my files. Come, this way, please." Kloppman said, motioning the left as Jack ran right, out of sight. I grabbed a poster, standing in front of Snyder as he turned to the right.

"Give to the Newsie strike fund, mister?" I asked him, sending him a fake smile and I was quite surprised when he handed me a dime. "Huh." I said, surprised as I walked back over to Race and Blink. "I was definitely not expecting that." I said, chuckling as I put down the sign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Newsies from all over New York were cheering as David, Jack, Spot, and I was standing up on the stage. "Carrying the banner!" Jack shouted as everyone stood up, cheering. "So we've come a long way, but we ain't there yet. Maybe it's only gonna get tougher from now on. But that's fine, we'll just get tougher with it." Jack shouted as Spot clapped, the Newsies all cheering. "But also...also, we gotta get smart and start listening to my pal, David." Jack started, wrapping his arm around David's shoulder. "Who says stop soaking the Scabs." Jack said to us all.

"What are we supposed to do to the bums? Kiss them?" Race questioned as surrounding Newsies chuckled.

"Hey, look, any Scab I see, I soak them, period." Spot told the three of us as everyone cheered again.

"No, no, no, that's what they want us to do." David started as we all quieted down. "If we get violent, it's just playing into their hands." David told everyone.

"Hey, look, they're gonna be playing with my hands, all right?" Spot told David, walking up to him making fists. "Because it ain't what they say, it's what we say." Spot told him as Jack and I watched the two. "And nobody ain't gonna listen to us unless we make them!" Spot shouted as the Newsies started to argue with each other.

"Great." I muttered, taking a step forward. "Newsies of New York!" I shouted as everyone quieted looking at me. "Look at ourselves! We're starting to fight each other, which is just what Pulitzer and them wanna see. That we're street trash. Street rats with no brains, no respect for nothing including ourselves!" I shouted as everyone sat down again. "So here's as it is. If we don't act together, we're nothing. If we don't stick together, we're nothing. And if we can't even trust each other, then we're nothing!" I shouted.