Chapter 19

To be honest, I didn't even know myself what I was getting into until an hour had passed since Richard and I decided to become a 'couple'.  It was as though the news had spread like wildfire. As soon as Anne and I stepped out of Biology, I was being shot glares from girls left, right and centre while boys suddenly took the time to give me a second glance. One even decided to wolf-whistle.

I'm the kind of person who hates attention of any kind, and if I didn't have Anne beside me, I would have ended up dying from embarrassment. But, Anne being the good friend that she is, decided to stick up for me by running next to me all the way to mathematics. Only we found more people discussing the latest gossip: me. Well, if the fact that the whole class grew silent when I entered the room was anything to go by.

But what made it worse, was that some people were gossiping so loud that Cole would've easily heard it, and I don't know why the thought of him thinking I was dating Richard unnerved me so. 

Maybe he thought I was liar now? After all, he did catch us hugging, in a way. Also the fact that Richard fetches from tutoring me everyday. But I think it had to do with me liking him that made me nervous the most. You know, he might actually like me, but might not do anything about it now because I'm 'taken'. But that is also a very big 'might'.

However, if I thought that the gossiping (which had me wanting to hide under a table) was bad, it was nothing compared to the attack that awaited me at break.

"What's this about you and Richard dating?" Natalie screeched. 

Basically the whole group was bombarding me with questions that it took both Anne and I to get them to quieten down, only for Natalie to get offended that Anne found out first.

"We're not actually dating," I explained after five more minutes of freaked-out teenage girls. 

Was it that much of a shock that someone might be interested in me? Not that Richard was thinking along those lines, but still... "There's a crazy girl after Richard and he asked for us to pretend-date for a while to get her off his back. Anne was with when he asked me."

"Oh," came the simultaneous response of the group.

"Pity," Betty said. "You two would make such a cute couple."

I pulled a face. "Okay, no, we're best friends. That would be weird."

"So, can you get me a date with him then?" Emily piped up. We ignored her. She already knew that didn't work out well the last time.

"Weird is in the eye of the beholder," Betty quipped.

"Just please don't tell anyone, okay?" I begged and they all nodded their heads in understanding.

"Oh, well look who's here, if it isn't lover-boy," Natalie smiled and we all turned in our cross-legged positions to see Richard coming towards us with a grin. I'm sure I heard Emily give a dreamy sigh.

"Hey, Richard," came a chorus of female greetings as he grew closer.

"Hey, girls," he greeted as he crouched behind me and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. "Hey, babe."

Even though it was for pretend, and I didn't feel that way towards him, I still felt my face heat up from embarrassment. I quickly patted his arm. "They know. You don't have to pretend."

However, Richard just shrugged. "Doesn't mean she isn't watching," he muttered and I followed his gaze to see a figure duck behind a wall. 

Creep. Richard moved to the side and sat down next to me, grabbing my packet of crisps.

"Hey!" I pouted when he lifted his arm so that it was hopelessly out of my reach. Although it gave me a very good opening.

"Ow!" Richard yelped after I jabbed two of my fingers into his side and proceeded to grab the packet out of his lowered hand. I opened them quickly and took out a handful.

"Rule number one," I stated seriously. "I don't share my food, which you already know. And two, not too much PDA please," I said and began stuffing my face with the salty crunchiness. 

Richard knew how much I loved my food. It was stupid of him to try and take them. Honestly, if I didn't run, I would probably have to be rolled everywhere.

"Okay, okay, I get it," Richard sighed in defeat. 

I gave him a cheeky smile as I popped another chip in my mouth.

-

Tutoring was ... interesting. The slight change of attitude that I experienced from Cole yesterday flew out the window as he seemed even more serious today than normal, maybe even a tad broody. Probably my imagination though, but it was scary all the same.

For the last fifty-five minutes, I have debated on whether to tell Cole that this whole Richard drama was a farce or not. But the idea of actually talking to him about it made me feel queasy. He probably didn't care anyway. It was that thought that eventually made me keep my mouth shut.

"So, you understand now?" Cole asked stiffly, causing me to nod my head slightly unfocused due to my thoughts. Cole gave a barely audible sigh. "Thinking about your new boyfriend, aren't you?"

My eyes snapped to his before almost immediately looking away with a blush. I had to hold my tongue from blurting out the truth of 'No, I am very much single and not nauseatingly love-struck. Besides my mom would probably kill me if she found out I was dating.'  It wouldn't be far from the truth, regarding my mom anyway.

"Elizabeth," Cole's voice broke through my thoughts and I looked at him to see him already standing and packing away his things. I hadn't realised I had zoned out again, nor the fact that someone had so casually referred to me by my full name. The way Cole said it sent butterflies to my stomach.  "You coming or what?" he asked, his voice not giving away a hint of his emotions behind those chocolate eyes.

"Sorry," I muttered with a blush, and began to pack away my things with trembling fingers; a result caused by his unyielding stare. I was quick to pack away and grabbed the classroom key before we exited the room, and I locked the door behind us. The ever-diligent Richard was already there waiting and his eyes lit up at the sight of me.

"Hey, babe!" he greeted with that characteristically broad smile of his as he wrapped his arms around me, and gave me a light kiss on the temple. 

My face flushed bright red when I realised in horror that Cole was still standing in front of us, watching the whole exchange.

Now was when I was relieved that I didn't tell him we were fake-dating because Richard could be a very good actor when he wanted to be and Cole would have doubted me. I chanced a glance at Cole to see his almost amused expression, almost. Like I said, Richard was a good actor ... doesn't mean I am. Someone as perceptive as Cole could probably see right through me. I had mixed feelings about that thought.

"What are you looking at?" Richard's smile suddenly vanished as his gaze turned to Cole.

"What does it look like?" Cole responded calmly, but it seemed to rile up Richard as his arms tightened around me almost painfully, and he pushed me ever-so-slightly behind him.

"If you even think of-" Richard began, but Cole interrupted him.

"She's not my type."

Ouch.

It was the first thought that came to mind and I felt my heart sting at his words. I mean, wouldn't anyone feel hurt when someone you're attracted to just blatantly told you that they weren't interested in you? The fact that Cole said it so effortlessly only succeeded in making me feel worse.

Richard didn't get a chance to reply as Cole stepped around us, and walked off without another word. Richard gave a slow sigh as his shoulders relaxed, and subsequently the grip on my body loosened, allowing me to breath.

"Man, I hate that guy," Richard grumbled and, for once, I didn't know how to respond.