Chapter 23

A week later I found myself getting ready for a conjoining birthday party. It was called that because my mom and her three sisters were all born only two days apart. Of course, there were a few years between each of them, but it was difficult to give four girls each a separate party so they just have it all at once. My gran used to be so proud at her achievement of  the unusual birthdays boasting that it was all before any pill was invented.

Without my permission, my mind trailed back to the events of last week Friday. I had been extremely quiet the rest of the evening and when Cole said a short goodbye, I could barely look him in the eye I felt so embarrassed.

Richard obviously picked up on my change of mood, but he thought it was because of the movie and spent the rest of the ride home apologizing. If only he knew what really happened. For some reason I felt guilty.

On Monday I told Anne all that had happened and her eyes almost fell out of their sockets. Luckily, we had decided that what ever happens in the maths classroom, stays in the maths classroom. My other friends still don't know that Cole is tutoring me and I want to keep it that way.

Tuesday came by too quickly for my liking and I soon found myself sitting in front of Cole waiting to be tutored. I was extremely nervous, not knowing how to act, but then I decided to take Cole's lead - pretend as though nothing happened. 

In fact, Cole was so good at it that if I hadn't written it down in my diary immediately when I arrived home, I probably would've thought I had imagined the whole thing. That was how the rest of the week continued.

Now I found myself cradling two home-made pizzas in the backseat of the car as we made our way to Amy's house, as per the tradition.

Our car squealed to a stop on the side of the road before a luxurious-looking house. I waited for my mom to open my door and take one of the pizzas before I climbed out myself. I could already hear the loud bursts of laughter as we made our way to the open front-door.

"Hello, everyone!" my mom greeted and there was a chorus of greetings in return. 

Amy's house was quite modern with its grey colours and white tiles. It was a large house, that my massive family didn't crowd it at all as everyone sat on couches and chairs placed around the living-room.

A pitter-patter reached my ears and I held the pizza higher as I looked down to see Amy's female beagle. I always have to get accustomed to how small she is as I'm so used to Dobey who comes to my hip. 

"Hey Hazel," I greeted her and she wagged her long tail in excitement.

Now if anyone has ever owned a female beagle, you know exactly what happens when they get excited. As she ran around greeting the newcomers, she left a few yellow puddles on the white tile surface. Something I found quite disgusting as she would walk in it and then try and jump up on you. Just because I'm a dog-lover, does not mean I am willing to tolerate whatever a dog does and think it 'cute'. If a dog walks in their own urine it's disgusting. Simple.

"Hi Amy, Tyler!" I grinned at my two cousins. 

Immediately we began chatting as though we hadn't seen each other in years, when in reality, we had just spoken to each other yesterday at break-time.

I've always enjoyed being around my family - even though I only ever really talk to my sister, her husband and Tyler and Amy. Around the rest of the family I was rather quiet, purely because even though we were close by blood, we weren't really close.

After the aunts blew out their specific candles on the massive cake and everyone took a piece of cake ( I may have or may have not taken three) I found myself sitting by my sister and her husband. They had only been married for about four months so I was still trying to get used to the idea of calling Ronan my brother. Especially since ...