Chapter 111

"Come in," Mr Woods said as he looked up from the paperwork on his desk and to the door that slowly opened with a squeak. 

He frowned when he saw his son enter. "Luke, my boy, what are you..." He trailed off when he caught sight of Sophia entering after him. "Oh, and Sophia. How are you today, my dear?" He smiled in greeting.

Sophia didn't respond as she looked down at her boots, her hands shaking slightly as she held them behind her back. She was nervous, petrified, and everything in between. The thought of having to repeat what she said to Luke to, yet another, person was not something that she was keen on doing.

She hadn't been thinking clearly as she completely babbled out her mind to Luke on the bridge. Now that she's been forced to calm down a bit, the reality of what she said and the situation she was in suddenly dawned on her leaving her terrified. 

She's never opened up to someone like that. Ever. Now she's expected to do it again.

"Sorry to bother you, Dad, but Sophia would like to talk to you about ... uh," Luke began, but stumbled for the correct words to say.

Mr Woods frowned as he saw the hidden panic in his son's eyes and shifted his gaze to Sophia, who instantly looked away. Her face was pale with exhaustion clearly evident. His frown deepened for a moment before softening and gestured for Sophia to sit. 

"What's bothering you, Sophia?" he asked with a smile, hoping to ease her obvious anxiousness.

Sophia froze.

Luke glanced at her before slowly placing his hand on the small of her back and gently pushed her forward towards his father. A panicked sound escaped Sophia's mouth as she twirled around and Luke instantly blocked her path and grabbed her shoulders to keep her from sprinting out the door.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," he whispered and rubbed her shoulders soothingly, staring into her startled dark brown eyes.

Sophia stared back, her fear evident by her wide eyes and tense body. 

She hated this. She hated opening up to people, petrified of it even, and of what anyone might think of her now. It was all completely out of her comfort zone and she couldn't handle it. 

"It's just a chat, okay?" Luke continued. "No-one is going to suddenly not like you for opening up, alright?" he soothed, hitting the nail on the head.

Sophia stayed silent for a moment, staring deeply into Luke's comforting gaze before slowly nodding her head. She had promised to talk to Luke's dad, she owed that much to him. Luke gave her a small smile and patted her shoulders before gently turning her around once more to face his dad.

Mr Woods had watched the whole exchange silently with a raised brow and suddenly became aware of the seriousness of the situation. The fact that Sophia was acting like ... this; something terrible must've happened.

Sophia grabbed a tight hold on Luke's hand, silently begging him to stay with her, and he complied as he followed her towards the chairs placed opposite his father's desk. Mr Woods stayed silent as he waited for them to settle before training his gaze on Sophia, wanting her to say what was bothering her.

She remained silent for a long time, not looking at either of them as she shifted in her seat. She opened her mouth a few times to speak, but the words never seemed to form as she snapped her mouth shut and bit her lip multiple times. 

Although Mr Woods was growing apprehensive, his mind conjuring up many reasons for Sophia's strange behaviour, he kept a steady, neutral gaze. He didn't want to pressurize her into talking, he wanted her to feel completely comfortable before saying what she wanted to say.