Chapter 58

I felt my whole body freeze when I recognised the voice and my heart leapt into my throat. Cole. He was here ... and right behind me; so close that I could feel his chest vibrate when he spoke.

"Oh, hey ... Cole," the guy who had been following me said, trying to appear confident, but I could see that he had been shaken ... and Cole hadn't even done anything yet.

"What were you planning on doing with my girl?" 

My eyes widened as Cole pulled me backwards into his firm chest. I felt my face burst into flames.

The mystery person's face paled. 

"She - She's your ... I didn't know - I mean, uh ... nothing. I wasn't doing anything!" he stumbled over his words as he held up his hands in surrender, successfully spilling some of the contents of his drink on his white shirt, proving how inebriated he was.

"That's what I thought," Cole said and added in a dangerously low tone that made my insides quiver, "Now get lost." 

The guy nodded his head quickly and scampered off leaving us standing there in silence with his arm wrapped tightly around me.

I was still frozen in shock of what just occurred that it took me a moment to realise that Cole had released his hold on me only to grab my arm and almost drag me deeper down the hall.

"W-Wait a minute..." I began, finally finding my voice, but Cole didn't look back as he continued to march in an unknown direction. "Stop," I demanded in a stronger voice, but he didn't and then I realised that the tight hold on my arm was directly over where the drunkard had grabbed me making it sting. "Stop it, Cole. You're hurting me!" I winced.

Cole stopped immediately at my words and let go, whirling around to look at my arm. I looked down too and my eyes widened slightly when I saw the five angry moon crescents that were dribbling blood, which had been smeared by Cole's hand, down my arm. I gingerly placed my hand over it to cover it from Cole's penetrating stare and bit my lip hesitantly.

"What are you doing here?" Cole scowled and I slowly looked up to see his angry gaze locked on mine.

I glared back at him, suddenly remembering that I was cross with him. 

"I could ask you the same thing," I challenged.

"This isn't your scene, Elizabeth," he countered with a frown.

"And how do you know what my scene is?" I dared.

"Because I know you," he replied and I could see frustration rising in his eyes at my attitude.

"Well, I clearly don't know you," I sneered and crossed my arms over my chest, exposing my bleeding arm. I saw his eyes flicker to it for a moment before returning to my eyes. "What changed?"

Cole stared at me. "What are you talking about?"

My glare intensified. "Are you seriously going to pretend as though you don't know what I'm talking about?" I asked, my voice rising with each word. 

So much for me ignoring him as much as possible. He shook his head in confusion. My anger peeked.

"You can't just be all kind and caring one minute and then act as though I don't exist the next! Only to decide to swoop back in to play hero two months later! What is wrong with you?" I shouted. 

I was glad he took me to a quiet hallway. It would definitely send tongues wagging if they saw us fighting.

"I didn't-" Cole began, but I cut him off.

"If you hate me then tell me to my face! Don't make excuses and make me guess what I did!"

Cole's eyes widened at my words. "What? No. I don't-" he tried again, but I was too angry to hold my tongue another minute.