Chapter 26

"So, Sophia. Rumour has it that you're now the captain of the track team. Is that true?" Mr Woods asked at Sunday lunch later that week.

"Yes, sir," Sophia nodded her head and put a piece of roasted potato in her mouth.

She honestly didn't know how she could survive all week without Mrs Woods' food. She had talent. Much more than Sophia anyway.

"Track work is such a different sport. What made you go for that instead of something like cheerleading or hockey?" Mrs Woods asked and shot Olivia a look when she didn't eat her green beans, but claimed she was finished.

Sophia bit the inside of her cheek. She wasn't sure how to respond. Should she tell them that it was Luke who put the idea in her head or that he was the one who reminded her that her mother used to run? She braced herself and chose the latter. 

"My mom used to run, so I thought I'd give it a try," she said, her voice taking on a softer tone.

The atmosphere around the table grew bleak and Sophia knew then and there that her suspicions were confirmed. She always gathered that they knew her mother died but they never actually spoke to her about it until now, so she was only almost one hundred percent sure they knew.

"Were you and your mother close then?" Mrs Woods asked tenderly, as though she was frightened Sophia would break like fragile china. But Sophia was stronger than that.

She straightened her shoulders and shook her head. "I never knew her," she responded without emotion. 

She had to keep up her walls. If she looked like she's fine then they won't pity her.

The noises around the table completely ceased at her words. Even the twins were quiet as they regarded the guarded girl in front of them with curious eyes.

Mr Woods smiled, trying to lighten the sudden dreary mood that enveloped the table. "Well, I'm sure she would be immensely proud of you," he said kindly.

Sophia managed to give him half a smile, her heart involuntarily paining at his words, before looking at the boy next to her, only to see him quickly avert his eyes to his food.

-

"So," Luke began lightly, as he walked next to Sophia the following Wednesday. "How was your first track practise as captain yesterday?" They turned a corner and dodged the odd person as they walked to lunch.

Sophia thought for a moment. "It was ... something. Most of the girls were too busy talking to even think of training."

Luke nodded his head. "Yup, that's how most girls are these days. Don't care about anything. What did you do?"

"I threatened them," Sophia stated nonchalantly.

Luke's eyes bulged. "You what?" he yelled, causing a few heads to turn their way.

Sophia rolled her eyes at his antics. "If they didn't do as I said, I made them do fifty push-ups."

"And how did you get that right?"

Sophia shot him a look that made him freeze. A death glare was putting it lightly.

"I see," Luke muttered, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling. "Where did you even learn that anyway?"

"When I was little, I often had to go with my dad to the base. It was the look he always gave rebellious new recruits to get them in line," Sophia supplied.

Luke nodded his head. "Your dad must be quite a hard-core guy then. Only time I see him is at church, and I guess he's rather chilled then, eh?"

"I guess."