Chapter 27

"Well, class, seeming as though you have been studying the play Romeo and Juliet, I've decided to show you the movie to help you get used to the flow of the play."

The class cheered at Mrs Eley's words and she hushed them before rolling a medium-sized television to the front of the classroom. 

"Now please pay close attention to how they act because I will be choosing some people to act out some scenes later on in the year," she explained and I looked at Amy who sat next to me. 

I gulped. I might have to act? The thought alone made me feel queasy.

I felt a nudge on my shoulder and turned to see Richard grinning. "Wouldn't it be something if we ended up being Romeo and Juliet?" he whispered.

I turned to face him slightly. "You know I can't act to save my life!" I whispered harshly, mainly because internally I was freaking out.

"Relax, I'm just messing with you," Richard smiled at me. I glared at him and turned around, but paused for the slightest moment when I made eye contact with Cole. Almost two months and he can still paralyse me with that stare.

"Alright, hush now everyone. Let's begin," Mrs Eley said and switched off the lights, enveloping the classroom in darkness.

-

Eventually the horrible movie was over. Whatever possessed those teachers to allow us to watch such violence, I wouldn't know. Most of the movie I had my head ducked in my hands as either someone was stabbed, or someone killed someone else. It was horrific, to put it lightly. Romeo and Juliet is the famous play of how the two end up dying, I know, but I never would've thought that so much violence took place between them.

And the whole thing ending up putting me on edge. So much so, that later that day, while I was seated in front of Cole for our lesson, a book fell making a loud 'thud' and I screamed.

"What's up with you?" Cole asked as I placed a hand over my thudding heart.

"I'm just a little freaked out from the movie, I guess," I muttered and took a deep breath to calm myself.

"Why? It wasn't a horror," Cole stated and I knew he was referring to the way I reacted to the last movie we watched. 

My face flushed when I remembered the multiple incidences with our hands.

"Yeah, well, I'm not used to violence," I stated softly.

"How come?" 

I looked at Cole. Although he seemed interested due to the amount of questions he was asking, his face betrayed nothing. For all I know, he might be talking just to pass the last five minutes of the lesson without having to explain anymore maths.

"Well, the violent movies often contain swearing that my mom doesn't want me to hear because 'it's not the way a Christian should ever speak'," I said, reciting my mother's words.

"Oh, so you're one of those people," Cole said and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Excuse me?" I gave him a confused look.

"You're one of those people who thinks all is right with the world because your life is good as you're a Christian. Well, that's not real life. There is such a thing as pain," Cole explained and I was surprised.

Not only was it the longest that he had ever spoken to me about something non-maths related, but it was also one of his opinions. One he sounded very set on. I felt my body start to buzz ever so slightly and a feeling of determination rushed through me. He was about to be pleasantly surprised.