Chapter 101

Sophia groaned as she turned onto her side. Her head throbbed and she sighed, trying to relieve the pain as she opened her eyes. It took her a moment to adjust to the light in her room. Her mind was foggy and her head felt like it had been slammed against an anvil. 

She was confused by the feeling. 

She blinked a few times and slowly sat up in her bed as the memories slowly returned: the dance, Rachel dancing with her dad, finding the tray of champagne, taking her first sip ... but after that everything's hazy and, try as Sophia might, she couldn't remember past that.

Feeling disorientated, Sophia glanced at her bedside clock to see it read 12:15. She frowned. Her father never woke her up for church; seeming as though it was a Sunday. Something she found very strange. He always woke her up for that, no matter what. Maybe ... he took the Pierce family instead? The thought instantly made Sophia feel sour.

Nuclear bombs felt like they were going off in her head when she heard a few knocks on the front door. Groaning, she gingerly climbed out of bed. She will never drink again after this. She glanced downwards and noticed that she was still in her dress from the previous night, only now it was horribly wrinkled. Her gaze moved towards her bedroom mirror and she saw her hair sticking up horribly, along with the make-up smudges beneath her eyes, causing her to look even more like death than she already felt.

She sighed. Oh well, if it was those girl-scouts selling cookies again, at least they won't bother her for a good long while after this. Sophia held her head when the knocks resounded throughout the house once more.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," she grumbled as she smoothed her dress and made her way down the stairs and to the front-door when the knocking continued.

 She winced as her head throbbed. They weren't knocking that loudly, but it sure felt like they were.

"What?" she muttered irritably as she opened the door, pressing a hand to her forehead. Her eyes widened considerably when she saw Luke gazing down at her with a concerned look on his handsome face. "Oh ... hi," she said, suddenly nervous and self-conscious of her appearance.

"Hey," Luke greeted in return as he watched her. 

Sophia bit her lip and discretely began raking her fingers through her tangled hair, trying to tame it. Her heart thudded in her chest and her head continued to throb.

"May I come in?" Luke suggested after a moment.

Sophia nodded after a moment's hesitation and opened the door wider to allow him to enter her house. As he passed, Sophia caught sight of the bag in his hand. Food. Her stomach gurgled at the thought, seeming as though she hasn't eaten anything for over twelve hours.

She glanced down at her appearance and, noticing a hoodie draped over the back of one of the leather couches, quickly tugged it over her body and followed Luke as he made his way into the kitchen. He began unpacking the contents of the bag.

"What ... are you doing here?" Sophia asked after a moment of watching him work.

"Your dad was at church today without you; said he let you sleep in. My mom figured you wouldn't come to lunch so I brought the lunch to you," he replied as he grabbed a plate out of the cupboard and began dishing up some roast meat and vegetables.

Despite Sophia's headache, she could still sense that Luke was acting a little off; almost distant. He still had yet to turn to face her while he spoke, as he popped the food in the microwave. Sophia bit her lip and slowly lowered herself down on a seat by the island counter. 

"Were Susan and Rachel there?" she asked, her gaze flickering to Luke.

He shook his head as he retrieved a box of pills from the bag. "No."