Chapter 86

Pain erupted on my face as I felt Clayton's fist connect and blood gushed from my nose and down my face. For a moment I lay there stunned, but my eyes caught sight of his fist moving back and flying forward again.

I crossed my arms over my face instinctively to try and conceal it, but he still managed to land a good hit to the side of my cheek.

"Not so tough now, huh?" he jeered above me as I squeezed my eyes tight and spat out the metallic taste in my mouth. 

I couldn't respond as I held my nose, but my eyes shot open and I hunched as he slammed his fist into my stomach.

I tried to scream, but Clayton's rough hand quickly latched onto my throat, blocking any noise and air as he squeezed tightly. My eyes grew wide and I clawed at his wrist frantically with my nails and thrashed my legs out beneath me, but it only made him angrier and he sat his full weight down on my thighs so that I couldn't move my legs.

"What were you planning on doing?" he yelled in my face and lifted my head off the ground before slamming it back against the floor. "Huh?"

Stars danced across my vision and my lungs began to burn from the lack of air as I struggled against his death grip.

"You're so weak. It's pathetic," he hissed and repeatedly slammed my head against the floor with each syllable he spoke.

The stars started morphing into black dots as I felt my strength start leaving me, my hands beginning to loosen on his wrist as he squeezed my throat tighter.

He slammed my head against the floor once more and my hands dropped to my sides as darkness began to cloud my vision.

A blaring alarm suddenly rang out so loud that it startled Clayton enough to let go of me and he turned to see Cole's sister leaning against the bed, forehead glistening with sweat, as she held a fist against a red button, her eyes full of pain and worry as she clutched her stomach. I only just managed to turn my head to the side, blood blurring my vision, and I saw her collapse to the floor.

Clayton swore loudly and his eyes shot to mine before punching me so hard that I rolled onto my stomach. "You did this!" he screamed at me above the ringing alarm, but the voice sounded far away as I tried to get air back into my lungs, but it wouldn't come, as though his hand was still around my throat.

I had no strength left in me to move when he stood and gave me a solid kick to my ribs with the metal tip of his work boot. I heard something crack, but I could do nothing but curl into a ball; darkness almost completely covering my vision.

Clayton moved to kick me again, but as he did, the door behind me opened and next thing a blur of leather and black slammed into him, sending him into the wall behind him.

Everything moved as though I was in a haze as many white coats rushed into the room. White surrounded me, blocking my view of what was going on around me and I felt my eyes start to close. 

Nothing hurt anymore, everything was a blur. My body was starting to relax. I felt myself get rolled over onto my back and something was placed over my mouth.

A massive pressure suddenly entered my lungs and my eyes flew open as I gulped in large amounts of air. Someone methodically squeezed a bottle connected to a mask covering my nose and mouth and I almost jumped at the pain which erupted in my chest and I screamed. I felt Clayton's hand around my throat again and I panicked, trying to grab at my neck.

"Dear, it's fine, you're okay, just relax," a feminine voice rang over my panic.

I didn't listen to it. I had to get Clayton off me. I felt hands grab at my forearms and pull them away from my neck and I screamed as I struggled against their grip and the pain in my chest.