Chapter 49

The next day would be what I considered a blue Monday, even though it wasn't actually a Monday. Why? When I woke up I felt as though I had been hit by a truck. I was as sick as a dog ... no offence to my dear Dobey. Despite Cole helping me yesterday, I guess I was too cold and wet in the rain for too long and the fact that I went out for dinner with my family in the chilly autumn evening air was the cherry on top.

I felt so sick that I was almost going to stay home, but we were being given some assignment in English that I couldn't miss. Mrs Eley was one of those teachers who wouldn't let your friends keep your work for you as it 'encourages absenteeism'.

So I had no choice but to drag myself out of bed and go to school with a blocked nose and sluggish body. Not only did I also have a splitting headache, but I saw in the medicine cabinet that my headache pills were finished. So, I had no choice but to endure the pain.

Oh, but the best part of my day was that in first period I started with something every girl dreads once a month. The first two days are never fun for me, because I have the most crippling pain that I can't even talk without wincing. Now add my horrible cold to it and you'll find I'm no ray of sunshine.

For six hours I had to deal with this pain. I couldn't even listen in class as all I wanted to do was curl up in my bed on a mountain of pillows and cry. My friends instantly picked up on the fact that I wasn't my usual bubbly self, normally I would take painkillers for that, but they were finished too.  

Unfortunately, the pain also served in making my patience fuse much, much shorter. Enough so that my friends only asked me what was wrong once. 

Let's just say they didn't ask again.

I was more than a little relieved to enter my last lesson of the day – English. I quietly made my way to my desk and sat down, placing my head on my crossed arms and closing my eyes. It was days like this that I really despised being a girl.

I heard Amy sit down next to me and gave me a soft greeting. I only nodded once in response and I heard her take out her books. I suddenly had a strange feeling. It's difficult to describe but it's almost as though a tingle goes through my limbs. Without looking up I knew that Cole had entered the room. That feeling has been happening recently. 

It's weird because no matter where or how busy a room is, if Cole is in it I can almost pinpoint his location exactly. It's basically a 'Cole sensor' and something I can't get used to. I guess I was just too cold to notice it yesterday when I saw him in the rain.

The closer he walked to my desk, the more intense the feeling became until I heard him sit in his usual seat behind Amy. I didn't look up though; my ovaries were finally comfortable for the moment. 

"Lizzy? Are you okay?" I heard Richard ask as he reached me a moment later.

"Fine," I mumbled, but didn't look up.

"You sure?" he asked.

"Yes, Richard," I said as my irritation spiked and it came through clearly in my nasally voice.

I'm guessing Amy gave him a look because he replied a little awkwardly, "...Oh, I see." 

The desk creaked behind me and I knew he took his seat.

I sighed. I really just wanted to go home. Then a thought struck me that I would still have to go to tutoring after this. I wanted to cry. This day has been so long already.

"Elizabeth, stop sleeping in my class!" Mrs Eley's voice rang out and I sighed as I pulled myself into an upright position.

Normally I would be very embarrassed about being caught doing something 'naughty' in front of the whole class, but I was in too much pain to be bothered. I didn't look at Mrs Eley though, because I knew I would end up saying something that would probably end in me getting detention – and I didn't want to spoil my clean record.

"Alright class, now that there are no further interruptions," Mrs Eley began and I rolled my eyes. How was not moving and not talking an interruption? "I was going to say that we are going to begin doing role-play for Romeo and Juliet as your assignment."

I glared at Mrs Eley's back as she began to write down scenes on the blackboard. This was the assignment? I came to school and bore six hours of pain and discomfort to hear about something that I clearly won't volunteer to participate in? She was fast becoming top on my 'dislike' list.

"The teachers decided to allocate roles or else some people will never have the urge to try something different." My stomach began to churn at her words. "You will only practise the scenes I've written down and in mid-May you will perform them in front of the whole grade in the hall. That means you have three weeks to practise and each class will be doing certain scenes so that the whole play is done, but so that you won't feel pressured to memorise all those lines with exams looming. So without further ado, here is the cast list."

"Lord Montague – Ethan. Lady Capulet – Betty." I looked at Betty to see her devastated at such a minor role. "The nurse – Jessica. Paris will be Richard and Romeo will be Cole." 

At the mention of the two heartthrobs of the school being the two prominent male roles, a dozen girls' hands shot up demanding to be Juliet.

Mrs Eley quietened them down with a look. "Juliet will be played by a girl who I think will really suit the role," she said and I saw her glance in my direction. 

I felt my heart stop, pain momentarily forgotten, as panic took over.

Please, not me. I can't talk in front of  a few people, let alone the whole grade. Please, it can't be me-

"Amy."