Chapter 61

*Seven years ago*

"Come on, Seth, please?" I begged as I grabbed my older brother's hand to begin tugging him towards the door. 

Although we were different ages, it was apparent we were related as we shared the same blonde hair and emerald eyes. But while I was short, Seth took after our grandpa with six feet of height.

"No, Liz. I told you, it's dark now and too dangerous to go for a ride," Seth said as he shook his head being the cool, collected and sensible eighteen year old that he was.

"Please? We don't have to go far or fast, and it's school on Monday and you begin exams so you won't have any more time. Please, even if it's five minutes?" I begged and wrapped my arms and legs around his left leg to prohibit his walking.

Seth sighed as he looked down at my hopeful face. "Fine, five minutes."

"Thank you!" I squealed and raced off down the hall to my room.

"And dress warm!" he yelled back at me.

Within one minute I had pulled on my long pants, gloves and heavy jacket and was sprinting towards the front door. "Hold on a sec, Liz," Seth called as he grabbed my arm. "You forgot something," he said and handed me my little pink helmet as he grabbed his own grey one.

I cheered as I ran out the house and towards the garage, waiting impatiently as Seth locked the house. At the moment, Sara, Mom and Dad were at some school function. 

"Hey, Lizzy!" I looked over my shoulder and beamed when I saw an eleven year old boy with light brown hair and brown eyes sitting outside on his porch.

"Hey, Richard," I greeted and ran to the picket fence which divided our two houses.

"Where're you going?" Richard asked as he bounced his little sister on his lap.

"Seth and me are going on a quick bike ride before our mom and dad get home, so shh," I said and pressed my finger against my lips.

Richard nodded his head. "Don't worry. I won't say a word."

"You coming, Liz?"

I looked back to see that Seth had already brought his bike out of the garage and mounted it. "Coming!" I yelled back and said goodbye to Richard before sprinting towards the bike. Samuel leaned back a bit so that I could climb in front of him before he grabbed the handlebars and kick-started the bike.

A giddy smile came to my face as the sound of the engine roared around me. "I can't wait until I'm old enough to have my own bike!" I yelled over the noise.

Seth laughed. "Getting you off it will be a nightmare."

I squealed as he let out the clutch quickly, making the front wheel lift slightly as we sped into the street. I sent Richard a quick wave before looking to the front and holding onto the fuel tank. I loved riding bikes, especially at night because it was less busy. But for some reason my mom didn't like it. She said it's dangerous, but I can't see why. It's quieter or traffic so it should be safer.

Seth revved the bike a little, making me laugh. "I love this!" I screamed.

"Me too!" he agreed as we continued to ride down the road.

My ears perked when above the roar of the engine, I heard squealing tyres. "What's that?" I asked.

"I don't know," Seth replied as he slowed to a halt as he came to an intersection.

Everything happened in slow motion. 

A car came out of nowhere, going far above the speed limit. "Liz, look out!" I heard Seth yell as the car flew through the intersection and straight towards us.