Chapter 17: 'Pink Flash' Sakura Fights Orochimaru Herself

For Sakura, her vision of how to effectively prevent the Third Hokage's death was simple.

All she had to do was fix the problems that caused the Sand elders to have no choice but go to war.

Due to the Hidden Leaf, the people of the Hidden Sand were unable to make a living. Unable to gather resources through mercenary work or other kinds of employment in this nature.

Therefore, her solution was to fill in their food shortages. The biggest problem in their lands.

She thought long and hard about it, using her time to assess many records of the Sand Village in her photographic memory... before finally coming to a conclusion: She decided to 'invest' in the lands.

She didn't hire mercenaries from the sand. Instead opting to travel to the Chinoike Clan trapped in Valley of Hell before they destroyed themselves, then hired them with the dirty money she acquired.

Gato's funds would be put to good use...

Her subordinates were a little confused though.

Who were the Chinoike Clan? Haku might have been ignorant, but Zabuza was well aware of the rumours about these 'demons'. Those who had been banished for years from the Hidden Mist.

The fact that his 'Boss' wanted to hire them was out of his expectations. After all, even if they were compromised of mercenaries, there had been rumours of these people drinking blood regularly.

Of course, after meeting them firsthand, he realised the rumours were all empty.

They were nothing like how he'd predicted at all.

Though they did drink from a 'red river' in this desolated wasteland, all of it was just mineral rich water. Reality made him realise that relying on rumours made for some distorted information.

This was still unexpected, but it was better than making deals with vampires.

However, he found the action of his Boss had meant to transport the Chinoike Clan to the Hidden Sand.

This was a strange turn...

Not only did Sakura boost her enemy Village's military might, but also fixing their lack of resources... using a special plant she found in a region of the Hidden Leaf. It was a foreign plant.

To think, this little thing could be so crucial...

This action was understandably strange to him. A ninja of her calibre and craze helping starved ones.

Was this all for the sake of peace? Or war...?

"What are you planning?" Zabuza spoke to her.

On their way out of the Valley of Hell, he couldn't help but speak up to this mysterious little girl...

"Don't you know I'm trying to save my village?" Sakura shrugged her shoulders.

"I know, but this is going too far. Aren't you worried that they will turn on your village in a blink of an eye. Never mind all that, what about their signature Dōjutsu? Do you think the Sand will be safe?"

"They will. Though the Chinoike Clan is still angry at the Uchiha, news of its annihilation made their hearts calm down. To them, you could say they feel like their enemy was hit by karmic retribution."

LIs that really something you should say? I know well that you have an eye for that Uchiha kid."

"DO YOU WANT A PUNCH?!" Veins bulged on Sakura's forehead... but calmed herself to explain:

"My plan is like this: The Chinoike Clan will focus on growing Blood Fruits in the Hidden Sand, who are hungry enough to eat anything by now.

They are also most likely to not give the Chinoike Clan much trouble. Origins are irrelevant to them.