Prologue

Ivy

It didn't take much of an excuse for the Lost Knights to host a party. The clubhouse was a hub of activity with almost everyone in attendance. Brothers, Old Ladies and hanger ons were littered throughout the main clubhouse and the backyard. This particular weekend's celebration was a farewell party. Jasper Cole, one of the clubs newest enforcers and Ivy's best friend, had enlisted in the US marines; a decision that was wholeheartedly supported by the club much to her distain.

Jasper and Ivy had grown up together along with Ivy's brother Johnny, sister Pearl and their cousin Jay. The group weren't the only club brats but they were the closest. Jasper's father had passed away when he was fifteen, almost seven years ago; his mother had been a no show since before Ivy was born, which lead to Jasper moving into their family home and Ivy's parents' status had progressed from his godparents to his legal guardians.

While Johnny had been stoked to gain a sibling; Ivy felt nothing akin to brotherly love. For as long as she could remember Jasper had been a constant presence in her life. He had taken on the role of her protector and when he moved in seven years ago, his protective nature shifted from sweet and caring to bordering on overbearing. Her mother had stated repeatedly that he'd acted as so since the day he'd picked her up, dusted her off and declared her as his after she taken her first steps and promptly face-planted the living room carpet; he had been five at the time and was the source of everyone's amusement with his comment. Both had been teased copiously about their close bond but Ivy wouldn't have it any other way. Even though he became overwhelming on times, she was grateful for his calming presence when she needed a shoulder to lean on.

Ivy watched her mother and the other old ladies as they readied the buffet table while her father manned the grill. She wasn't hungry and the 'festivities' of the day didn't inspire her to join in. Jasper had tried to lighten her mood by joking that the barbecue wasn't a farewell party but more of a see you later party, yet she couldn't overcome the paralysing fear that she was saying goodbye to her best friend.

She was sat on the old tree swing near the back of the compound. It was her favourite place to go when she needed to be alone with her thoughts. Her father along with Jaspers dad, Blade had built it along with a wooden fort complete with monkey bars and a slide to keep them occupied when they were kids and had to spend prolonged periods of time at the clubhouse. At seventeen she might have outgrown the fort but couldn't part with her beloved swing. Ivy hadn't realised how long she'd isolated herself from the rest of the party when a shadow fell over her.

"I've been looking for you everywhere; I should've known you'd be up here. Whatcha doing by yourself Sweet Pea?" Ivy couldn't stop the grin that overtook her face as she stared up at the Adonis rival that stood before her. She hadn't realised her feelings towards Jasper had matured beyond friendship until fairly recently; something that she had tried to keep hidden from him, although she suspected she'd been unsuccessful.

"Aren't I getting too old for a nickname Jasper?"

He gasped and clutched a hand to his chest in mock horror, "Never" he chuckled as he sat down next to her. "It's not just any nickname; it's my nickname for you. I've never given anyone a nickname except you; I call you Sweet Pea because you're special to me. Now, are you gonna tell me why you're up here all by yourself?"

She sighed; she could never hide much from Jasper. "I'm just thinking about what I'm gonna do with my Sunday nights now that you're going away." Since joining the club had taken so much of Jaspers time during the week, Sunday had been the designated day that he always found time for Ivy without fail.

"We can still spend Sundays together you know."

She rolled her eyes whilst giving him an exasperated expression, "How we gonna manage that Jas, when you're not going to be in the same state as me?"

"You've got a cell phone. Haven't you discovered wonders of texting yet?" He bumped her shoulder with his trying to get her to laugh. He didn't succeed so he tried again whispering behind his hand as if letting her in on a secret, "I've heard that they make calls too, sometimes with a camera so you can actually see the person you're talking to." That time it worked, Ivy erupted in laughter as she lightly slapped the back of her hand into his abs of steel.

"Okay Mr Hilarious, you've made your point. You just better not forget about me." Ivy tried her best to show him her sternest face but guessed she hadn't quite accomplished it when he stifled a laugh.

He held his hands up in surrender, "I promise I will never forget about you Sweet Pea. It's you and me against the world, remember?"

She smiled at the familiar phrase they had both said to each other over the years and responded, "Yeah you and me, Jas."

Jasper touched a finger under her chin when she looked away turning her head back to face him where his lop sided grin greeted her. "If I do I'll give you one clear shot right here." He pointed to his jaw.

"You bikers are all the same. You know violence doesn't solve everything right?"

"I know Sweet Pea but it helps most of the time." She wasn't touching that statement with a barge pole so she remained silent until he opened his arms and she shuffled over to rest her head on his chest safe in his warm embrace.

"I'm gonna miss you Jasper."

"I'm gonna miss you too." She couldn't be certain but she could have sworn his voice cracked as he spoke. Then he cleared his throat and continued; "Besides it won't be long until your birthday. I'll be back to celebrate with you, I promise. Even if it's just for a day or two, I will be here. You won't have a chance to miss me."

With a quick kiss to her forehead he got up without another word. Her heart breaking with every step he took away from her.