5: The Juice

They finally reached a door, white and boring like the walls of the hospital. "We're here." the nurse said, gesturing the Xiao brothers to enter, bowing then leaving the two.

Jian nervously opened the door, instantly running forward then kneeling in a split second beside the man propped up the floor, struggling to get up.

The man was Wang Yi Bo.

Both his right arm and right leg bounded in a hard cast. Several grazes can be seen on his face, neck, and no doubt some wounds are hidden behind his dull hospital clothes.

He managed to beam a wide smile to Jian as he saw him, despite the other looking sick-worried about his condition.

"Jian! Good to see you! What brings you here?" Yi Bo jokingly asked despite knowing the answer.

"Brother Yi Bo! You lied! This doesn't look like a sprain to me! What happened?"

Yi Bo continuously smiled, "An accident. Just an accident."

Jian frowned, eyes turning red.

"Don't cry! Don't cry little kid. I'm still alive, so it's still good! Just help me get up, please."

The two attempted to stand up from the floor as Xiao Zhan watched from a distance, confident Wang Yi Bo has enough strength to support himself with a little help from Jian. Unfortunately, WYB can't help himself as much, as he is still a bit groggy from the anaesthetics, and still not used to having a heavy cast on his limbs. And more unfortunate, his weight is no joke to lift with just little Jian supporting him.

Seeing them struggle and fail miserably, Zhan interjected, effortlessly lifting Yi Bo's left arm and placing it around his shoulder, then placing his right arm around Yi Bo's waist. In two smooth movements, they were off the floor and Yi Bo is back sitting on the hospital bed.

Wang Yi Bo looked surprised staring at the other visitor. He did not see teacher Zhan come in with Jian. Not the least, expect him to help him get up. He was embarrased to say anything, to say 'Thank you.', or to ask 'What is he doing in there?'.

There was an awkward silence between the two, and Jian felt the atmosphere thus did not say anything as well.

But it wasn't for long. The door opened again, and the younger brother came, grumbling as he enter, "I even had to go out the hospital just to buy you your carrot juice! Look how tired---I---am."

Little Yuan did not expect his brother to have visitors. Lest it be his Teacher Zhan!

"Hel---Good afternoon, Teacher Zhan!" He bowed like a robot with a salute, which earned a laugh from his good friend, Xiao Jian, and a 'What-is-wrong-with-my-brother' look from Yi Bo.

Zhan politely greeted him back, such a gentleman he is.

Yuan offered them a seat, and looked at the carrot juice on his hand, thinking he should give the visitors something to drink as well. So after shoving the juice to his brother's working hand, he sprinted off to buy the others a drink. Jian feeling uncomfortable being served, sprang up from his seat and ran after Yuan, leaving the older ones in an awkward silence yet again.

Yi Bo was consciously avoiding to look at Zhan, whereas the other has been staring at him for quite a while.

"Carrot juice? I thought you hate them?" Zhan curiously asked.

Yi Bo became more uncomfortable. After a while, he tossed the unopened bottle to Xiao Zhan, "You can have it."

Zhan stood up, bottle in hand. He twisted the cap to open it. Then handed it back to Yi Bo, "You should have it."

Wang Yi Bo looked at the slim hands holding his favourite beverage, then run his eyes through his arms, to his shoulder, then to his face. That never fading gentle smile is plastered across that man's face.

And just with that, all the past memories, the good and the bad, came crashing down on him.

----------
Extra

"Hey, your brother likes carrot juice?" Jian asked Yuan while walking towards the shopping mart.

"Yes! That is his elixir of life! He couldn't live a day without it! He can even last without water or food for days, but not without that awful juice!"

Jian stopped walking. Hand in his chin he said, "That's weird. My brother loves carrot juice as well. He drinks it everyday."

Yuan halted, his pulse skipped a beat, "When we grow older, l---like them, w--would we like drinking that as well?"

Both held their breaths, unblinkingly stared at each other, as a bitter taste comes up from their throats, and in no time, both of them puked invisible vomits from the thought of the innocent carrot juice. <3