18: The Confession

"I'm sorry." Yi Bo said with a fake boyish grin when he looked again at Xiao Zhan. He did not utter another word to him as they journeyed back to his room, and simply nodded when Zhan bid him goodbye. There was something in his aura, in his stare, and in his smile, when they parted which makes Zhan nervous.

Zhan was baffled, but he sure knows he had hurt him.

He massaged his temples as he leaned on his car's seat. Something in his chest feels tight. And for God's sake, he can't forget the sadness in Yi Bo's eyes.

But was he wrong? Did he say and ask for too much? Was it wrong to protect himself?

3 years have passed by! He had moved on, right?

But why does his heart still skipped a beat with Yi Bo's words? Why does it feels heavenly whenever their skin touch? And why does he feel so broken when they parted like that?

He doesn't know the answers, but there's still tomorrow to look forward to, right?

And then the morning came, Zhan did not forget to wake up early to prepare Yi Bo his specially-made breakfast. He drove to the hospital looking forward to see him, hoping the night had somehow eased the tension they've left hanging last night.

Yet, sometimes, somethings might not have second chances.

Zhan opened Yi Bo's hospital room, and it was all tidied up, only the sprout he has gifted him was left by the window, lonely and neglected.

There was a pang in Zhan's chest when he saw that empty room. He ran to the nurses' station, and was told after they parted last night, Yi Bo discharged himself against medical advice.

"But how can he?!" Zhan blurted out of confusion.

"He is an adult and deemed competent to decide regarding his medical care, so we can't really stop him. Even Dr. Huang came and tried to persuade him to stay, but it was unsuccessful." The nurse explained reminiscing the heated debate between Yi Bo and Dr. Huang Zi Teng, she can only shake her head in disbelief.

Xiao Zhan left condemning himself that it was his fault. If something bad happens to him, if he doesn't recover from his injury, it will be his lifetime conscience.

All throughout the day, his mind wanders off, anxiously thinking if Yi Bo is managing okay.

"Teacher Zhan, are you okay?"

"You look pale, are you sick?"

Zhan blinked and realized he had stopped midway a poem he was reciting to his class.
He closed the book in his hand, and smiled, hiding his distress, "Aw. I got caught in the writer's sentiment, I apologize." Thankfully the bell rang in cue, and he breathed in relief, "Well I guess, that's it for today class. Have a nice day."

Zhan was placing his books in his bag, when he noticed a shadow hovering him. He looked up and was greeted by, "You're acting strange."

He exhaled deeply and did not say anything. But the person whack the table to gain his attention once more. "Spill the beans. Did you fight?"

Zhan raised an eyebrow, "Remember where we are. In here, I am your Teacher."

Jian rolled his eyes on his brother. "That doesn't answer my question! What's up, brother? Did he upset you? Or did you upset him? What is going on?"

"Nothing is going on." Zhan said in a serious tone.

"So that's why you're upset?"

Zhan snapped his head to his brother, looking at him unbelievingly.

Jian smirked, "Brother, it really puzzles me why you rejected his confession 3 years ago. If you did not, then the two of you would be all lovey-dovey by now. You know what? I'll tell you a secret. Brother Yi Bo actually li..."

"That's enough!" Zhan exclaimed making his brother startled. All Jian's words are like a million knife stabbing him to his end. He saw his weakened self, slidding to his chair, staring at his brother's shocked eyes, "That rumor was false. He did not confess to me."

Jian's eyes are fixed on his brother's demenour. In a split second, he realized he had not known much about his brother's real feelings. He had never seen him get mad, and had never seen him sad. And this moment was that day he wished had never arrived.

He saw Zhan's lips curving to fake a smile, and as he did, a tear fell from his sockets, flowing like a river, dampening his clutched hand.

"It was me who confessed. It was me who got rejected."

-----------

Author's note:

Very short update! At least 1 thing clarified, Zhan was the one who confessed! That's the confession plot twist.

So, where is Yi Bo now? 🤫

18-Feb-2020

Please SUPPORT MY NEW SHORT STORY (only 9 chapters!) I will create more short stories if this one becomes successful (earn more votes) 😘