10: The Sprout

Yi Bo's lids trembled as he opened his eyes. The usual gloomy and dark room he enclosed himself in the past week is now bright with the sun giving it a natural glow.

He squinted his eyes through the brightness, closing his palm only to feel its emptiness.

Xiao Zhan has left.

He had no recollection of what happened next after he begged for him to stay.

Did he fell asleep? Was it all just a dream?

Sadly, the latter might be the case.

'Dont leave me again.'

"Aish!" He hit his forehead regretting the words. It was too selfish of him to ask that. If he had actually told Zhan those words, how could he face him the next time around?

He knows, the more he wants to keep him near, the further the gap between them will grow...as long as he still bears the unspeakable feelings he held for him.

With this matter, he allowed his heart to crash as broken as it can be.

His moment of self-blame and self-pity ended when suddenly he heard the door clicked open, he turned his head only to be disappointed to see that it was just his usual nurse coming in with some apparatus used for checking his vital signs. She beamed a cautious smile at him, trying to figure out his temper for the day.

She can see even from afar how his lips is almost as white as his skin, and the beads of sweat on his forehead impending to roll down his face. To her surprise, WYB only stared at her with a dead expression. She mustered up courage and heedfully approached her patient, "Let's check if your fever has gone worse."

Yi Bo's forehead creased, "Fever?"

The nurse nervously nodded her head, cautiously propping the thermometer on his ear. 38.4 C. She breathed a breath of slight relief, "Oh well, a bit better than your 39.3 C last night. Your friend gave us a shock, shouting your name and asking for help as you lay unconscious."

"Friend? Which friend?!" Yi Bo probed about this mysterious friend, rather than minding the fact that he blacked out last night from high fever or that he had several fluid drips infusing on his hand because of dehydration and malnutrition.

It was now the nurse's turn to knot her brows as her patient seemed to have no recollection of what happened. "Yeah. The good looking guy. Tall, slim, fair skinned." She stared at Yi Bo and realized she was giving a vague description which also fits Yi Bo's features. She thought about the visitor more and alas!, "Ah! He has a noticeable mole under his mouth!"

Yi Bo collapsed like dead on his bed hitting his throbbing head. 'Zhan-ge!?' He doesn't want to believe it! The few remaining blood in his ghastly face instantly drained.

After a few seconds idling, he sat up despite feeling his body heavier than the usual. The room was whirling around him, yet he pushed himself to prop his feet on the floor, only to see how his legs gave away immediately as he attempted to stand.

He had never felt this weak and useless his entire 20 years of life. But he wanted to see him. Desperately. Even if he doesn't know how to face him again.

"W-where is he now?"

The nurse confused of his rush, shook her head. "He left around 6am." She saw how Yi Bo's emotions washed out and went back to a flat affect. She wanted to say that he had stayed with him the whole night, and had to begged the team and pulled some strings of connections to the hospital management to allow him to stay and look after Yi Bo as visitors aren't allowed past 9pm. But she wasn't sure if he needed to know that, or that she should say something which wasn't asked while knowing Yi Bo's emotions currently is so easily perturbed.

Her eyes landed on an unusual pot of some plant by the window, she remembered the visitor carrying it last night as he came. Curious of what it was, she approached the plant and eyes beamed when she saw the note.

She carefully lifted the pot and handed it to Yi Bo.

It says, "Please take care of me..." and then there was a cute flower sketch after the ellipsis.

It was a sketch of a Hyacinth.

But what colour would it grow to?

In the language of flowers, what would it mean?

------
Author's note:

Thank you for all your support!

Please continue to support BJYX, The Untamed, and this novel!

Vote. Follow. And share the love 💕

19-Jan-2020