6: The Accident

"Let's go home brother!" Jian approached Xiao Zhan in his office, bag on his back. His mood strangely wasn't good.

Zhan calmly said, "Okay." standing up from his swivel chair, not saying anything more. He doesn't want to probe into his brother's business or hit a spot inside him which is already in fury.

The two quietly walked alongside one another but as they passed the second year's classroom, Xiao Zhan caught a glimpse of his brother's friend, Yuan, staring at the window with the same strange enranged mood like little Jian.

"Did you fight?" Zhan asked halting Jian's steps.

Jian sneered, "He is always in a bad mood recently! He is even provoking everyone into a fight whenever someone tries to ask what's gotten into him!" He turned his head towards Yuan's direction, snapping his knuckle against his palm, "I never thought he has such a troublesome personality! He deserves a beating or two!"

Jian was about to make a rampage against Yuan, when Zhan pulled his collar and shook his head, "Let me ask him, what is wrong then."

Composed as he always is, Zhan came and approached Yuan. He took a chair and sat in front of him. He wanted him to feel comfortable, yet his plan failed as Jian followed inside with loud stomps and stand beside him, crossing his arms against his chest and cheeks puffed from irate. Zhan gave Jian a disapproving look but he didn't budge, leaving Zhan no choice but to ignore him and start focusing his attention back to Yuan.

"It seems like something is bothering you. Is there anything I can help with?"

Yuan stared at his Teacher Zhan, his earlier creased brows slowly straightened, his expression changed into sadness.

Seconds passed. Yuan's eyes started to burn as he stared at Teacher Zhan's genuinely concerned face.

"I-It's my brother." his voice cracked as he fought back his tears.

A heart beat fast, while the other skipped hearing it was about Wang Yi Bo.

"Brother Yi Bo?! What happened to him?!" Jian shook Yuan's shoulder.

It was only a week since they've visited him in the hospital. As they were told, his surgery was successful, and with a healthy young man he is at that, recovery wouldn't be complicated as well.

'So what exactly had gone wrong?'

"It wasn't..." Yuan started, and then stopped. Looking both on the Zhan brothers, he wanted to think twice before continuing, but his emotions where too messed up right now, and he felt hopelessly needing to let out what the burden on his chest was, so he only needed a little push to say what is bottling up inside his heart.

"It wasn't what, Yuan?" Zhan concernedly asked.

Lips trembling, Yuan stared at his teacher, "It wasn't an accident."

Xiao Jian and Xiao Zhan were left speechless. Seeing their shocked and confused faces Yuan continued, "I've overheard his conversation with his manager. Someone planned the collision! It wasn't an accident!"

"Collision?" Zhan questioned. He has had thought first hand that those type of injuries was from a bad traffic incident. But as Wang Yi Bo keeps on saying it was an accident, that it was unintentional on the perpetrator's end, and it was just an unfortunate timing, Xiao Zhan had believed his words.

"That is all I heard. Brother had never told me. He doesn't even let me tell our parents that he'd been in an accident! Saying he doesn't want to spoil their vacation! He keeps saying he is fine. That he will recover. But I know him..." Yuan couldn't held his tears anymore. "He isn't fine. Racing is his life. To be a professional racer is his dream."

Jian started brawling as well as he felt for Yuan's predicament. He idolizes Wang Yi Bo, but it wasn't just the reason why he is crying. He was thinking of 'What ifs?',

'What if it had happened to his brother?'

'What if Yi Bo died because of the accident?'

'What if Yi Bo can't race again?'.

Why do such cruel people exist?! How can they ruin someone else's dream, just to achieve their own?!

The two young man who'd been fighting earlier are now crying loudly in the desolated classroom, it was such a scene.

Xiao Zhan on the otherhand was in deep thoughts. 'He isn't fine.' kept playing inside his mind as Wang Yi Bo's smiling image contrastingly accompanied the words.

After a while, when the two's tears had dried, Xiao Zhan proposed, "Should we pay him a visit?"

Yuan's hoarse voice from crying out loud replied, "T-That's the other issue. H-He stopped allowing any visitors...

...including me."

------------

01-Jan-2020