14: The Breakfast

Xiao's mansion

The following day, Jian was woken up by clang of sounds from downstairs. With eyes still tired and sleepy, he took steps towards where the sound was coming from.

He lazily sat on the bar chair in the kitchen, head resting on the cold granite-table top. The clock chimed 6 times and he couldn't help but complain, "Brother, it's only 6 am. Why are you so early?" He has noted Zhan has already taken a shower, changed into his working suit, and ready to leave the house.

Zhan spun around to face Jian with a mild smile. "I've prepared your breakfast." Ruffling Jian's bed-hair, "I'll be back by half seven to bring you to school. Make sure you're ready by then."

Xiao Zhan did not explain where he is going so early in the morning, or what he is up to with such a scrumptious breakfast packed, but Jian understood. A sheepish smile crossed his face. "Zhan-xiong, say Hello to brother Yi Bo for me.", he teased.

Zhan's hand ruffling Jian's hair came to a stop, his eyes mildly opening wide. After a pause, he shortly reposted "I will." avoiding any more conversation then hastily bid goodbye, hands carefully grasping the breakfast he had made for Yi Bo.

With a wide smile still plastered across Jian's face, he followed his brother's figure until the doorway. He can trace anticipation and sprightfulness eminating from Zhan. He hasn't seen him with such high-spirit towards someone, thus, he couldn't fathom why his brother rejected Yi Bo's hearsay confession.

Like a bulb blinking brightly inside his mind, Jian ran upstairs and ransacked his brother's monochrome, boring and office-like bedroom for any evidence.

Like what they did in Yi Bo's room, he flipped everything upside-down. Searched all slits and corners, not caring if his brother will find out what he has done.

'He will forgive me anyway.'

With this thought, he continue rummaging through his belongings, until he'd found what he was looking for.

At the top of Xiao Zhan's office cabinet was a dull grey storage box, Jian was about to neglect its content of video tapes, vintage film rolls, old camera, and random paper of no importance to Jian, when he saw a picture of a 15 y/o Wang Yi Bo widely-and-lovingly smiling towards whoever was the photographer of that photo, whom of course is nonetheless, Xiao Zhan.

Jian's instinct urged him that he'll find out more from those roll of films and tapes, however, those are tools only the generations before him knows how to utilise.

He sank to the floor, legs crossed, then pondered: he needs to find a shop which can turn those films into a photo print and those tapes into a laptop compatible videos.

He dialled Yuan's phone number to make a forced agreement with him then sent his brother a commanding text message, foolishly smiling and wordlessly applauding his cheekiness self-proclaimed brilliance.

-------------

Hospital

Humming as he parked his car at the almost empty carpark, Xiao Zhan can't help but wonder what has gotten into him to do this much effort for Wang Yi Bo. "We aren't even friends." he reprimanded himself. Contesting it immediately afterwards, "but we were very good friends back then."

The last phrase made his chest twinge. He grimaced and moved his hand to where his heart is, instantly closing his palm while feeling its emptiness.

"It's all in the past." he glanced sideway onto the rearview mirror afixing a smile on his face.

He made his way to the 5th floor, greeting the staffs at the workstation. They nodded in salutation as he passed by them, ignoring the rule that visitors are allowed only from 10am. They already know he has connections to the management which gives him this special favour.