"Why did you leave?"

Karlä looked at the woman who she recognised as her mother. Karen Pugh hadn't aged however in her eyes, the toll of  stress was seen.
The two women stared at each other in shock until they heard a familiar "Is Karz here?"
As soon as she saw Brianna, Karlä ran straight into her sisters arms. She had always gotten along with her older sister and was the only one who knew about her relationship with Cohen.

Then Karlä had to meet her dad. This was going to be painful. Horace Pugh had to do a double take when he saw his youngest daughter. Rubbing his eyes to make sure he wasn't dreaming, Horace stuck his arms out and Karlä instantly rushed into them.
"I missed you." She whispered. When they pulled apart, tears were steaming down both their faces.

Dinner was delicious. It felt like the old times again. Until Karlä's mum decided the ask the one question Karlä prayed didn't have to answer. "Where did you go?" Her voice was sharp and Karlä knew she hadn't yet been forgiven.
Horace decided to ask another question which Karlä could (kind of) answer. "Why did you leave?" Contrary to his wives, Horace's voice was so soft, it was barley audible.
Karlä avoided eye contact with everyone. "It was a stupid thing to do." Realising she hadn't answered the question, she added "My friend , at the time, convinced me it was the right thing to do."  Karlä's mum wasn't convinced. "What friend?" Karlä wasn't going to answer this. "I can't say." An adamant voice replied. "What friend?" "Mum I cannot say-"
"Deep breaths everyone." Karlä's dad's voice was now harsh. His wife wasn't pleased. "Horace, are you on her side?" Karlä's dad shot gave a frown. "I'm on no one's side honey." "Well why don't you want to know where your daughter went?" Karlä's mum wanted to know. Dad was calm. "The police know."
"And we shouldn't? I wouldn't be surprised if she was a slut-" "MUM!" Brianna was horrified. Mum ignored her eldest. "in a brothel-" "Karen, that's enough!" Dad was beginning to lose it. "or maybe she got rape-"
Karlä got up. She didn't bother to look, bother to hear, bother to turn around as she marched out.
Dialling her phone Karlä asked "Hello? McKenzie? Can you pick me up?"