The Final Testimony

August 19th happened to have a few things happening that day. It was the day after the USWNT's semifinal win over Team GB in a 5-4 thriller. Alex, Megan, Tobin, Mal and Lindsey scored for the US with Karlä herself grabbing her debut goal at the Olympics. It was an emotional moment for her as she ran to her sister who was on the bench having been substituted at that point. After embracing her and some other members of the team, Karlä grabbed a shirt and lifted it to a camera and it read:

GET WELL SOON RANDY HEPBURN!
WE ALL BELIEVE IN YOU TO KEEP
FIGHTING!!
Karlä knew that there would be questions asked but she didn't care. She just wanted her longtime friend to get better. The game finished and Karlä did everything not to cry and she was now an Olympic finalist.

Anyway back to August the 19th. So what else was happening? Well it's the date set for Karlä's testimony against her ex and it's also...her 19th birthday.
"Another year dumber." She quietly joked to McKenzie as her best friend held the door for her to get into the car. Unfortunately the trial itself was in Colorado so Karlä has jetted back the night before to America. Now they were heading to the court where in approximately 20 minutes time, she would do what she promised herself, her final testimony.

Karlä was a lot more reassured when she heard that Marie Hawkins would retain her role as the judge in this case. The strict woman had a calming side to her, an almost motherly figure to the young adult.
What she didn't expect when she entered the room though was to see the entire USWNT standing in the rows. Most of them were eyeballing Cohen with deadly looks in their eyes. Although when they saw Karlä, their expressions relaxed.
The last person the now 19 year old looked to was Mallory. Her sister didn't see her at first although when they made eye contact, she gave the most reassuring smile possible.
All of Karlä's worries seemed to evaporate from then. Her family were also there, Mum and Dad looking nervous although Brianna, Dansby and Jace were with them, the latter holding Karlä's niece.
"Miss Karlä Denise Pugh," The judge now had her full attention. "You are to testify, for the second time, against defendant Cohen Carlson."
Karlä nodded. "Yes Ma'am." Marie nodded. "Good now lets get into it." Another guy in overalls had now been brought out and it gave Karlä a shock when she realised who.
Barry McColl seemed to have aged decades in jail. His Mohawk was shaved off. His signature smirk was wiped off his face and his eyebrow piercing was no longer present. His distinct iron first wasn't there and the only feature that Karlä could identify her enemy from was the gang tattoos still visible on his neck and face.
"It is alleged that upon escaping from prison," a deadly glare was thrown at the criminals "Defendants McColl and Carlson made their way to the house that you were staying with your friend." There was no emphasis on the last word but it still sunk into Karlä like a fentanyl laced needle. "It is then thought that they blackmailed you to getting into contact with them." Karlä nodded and watched as her lawyer showed a projection of the exchange between her and Cohen onto the court. While it made her wince to see family and friends get a look at intimate stuff Karlä had, she knew it was for the better.
"You were told to make your way to 32 Elmont Road." Marie raised her eyes to Karlä. "Why's that?" Karlä cringed in memory. "It was the place we first met."
"How romantic." Hawkins muttered and Karlä swore she heard a few stifled giggles.
"Anyway," the judge continued. "You arrived at the house...with your acquaintance I'm told?"
Karlä nodded. "That's right Your Honour."
"It didn't take long until you encountered this duo," A gesture to Batsy and Cohen "what happened then?"
Karlä was surprisingly confident in answering. "They almost instantly knocked my confidant out and dragged me up the stairs."
Although she was to remain neutral as of now, the look of disgust towards the two men could already be seen in Marie's eyes. "What happened then?" Karlä quickly looked at Cohen before continuing. "Barry then left the room and..."
Karlä really didn't want to admit what had happened next so she decided to try and word it differently.
"Cohen um...pressured me into having sex with him."
There was still silence until Marie realised what happened. "He raped you."
Karlä winced. "Ummm...I guess that's another way to say it?"
The courtroom nearly descended into chaos. Karlä's mum fainted, Mal burst into tears and Dansby and Jace had to be restrained from reaching Cohen.
"So after that..." the Judge still appeared to be in a bit of shock, "I was told these ladies..." a couple of silent cheers were made as she gestured to the USWNT "came to the rescue."
Karlä nodded with tears in her eyes. "Thank goodness." The judge then frowned. "What happened then? Carlson was disarmed how?"
Moe gave a loud cough and Ash put her hand up. "Your Honour, I kicked that dickhead in the balls and snatched his gun off him."
Marie blinked in almost disbelief as Karlä did everything not to laugh.
She thought her testimony was over but judging by the stern look on Hawkins face, that wasn't the case.
"Young lady," she began and Karlä gulped, knowing she was in trouble "the last time you were here, you like everyone else who's ever been here, took an oath, a promise not to lie to me."
The judge took her iconic horn rimmed glasses off. "While I hope you wouldn't lie to me, I would like you to feel safe. So maybe I understand why you potentially did this,
Karlä Denise Pugh,"
Everyone's eyes were on her.
"When I asked whether the defendant Cohen Conner Carlson treated you well, you responded that he did," the pause was painful "was that a lie?"

Karlä knew that no one in this room was going to know the truth. Well, Randy did but he was in a comatose and he couldn't exactly testify could he? So taking a deep breath, Karlä looked around the room. Her teammates gave encouraging looks, her parents and Brianna gave tearful smiles, Dansby and Jace jokingly pretended to punch Cohen which got them reprimanded. Barry appeared to look emotionless but Cohen was scared?
Looking to Mal, Karlä saw her sister mouth I've got you.
Karlä then turned to Judge Marie Hawkins with a sheepish look on her face. "It is with much regret and apologies Your Honour that I didn't speak the truth." She looked to her ex again. "I was mistreated on many occasions."
"Such as?" Marie pressed.
"Emotional abuse by taunting me, verbal abuse by calling me derogatory terms, physical abuse by shoving me and beating me and unfortunately sexual abuse by forcing me to commit sexual acts." Hawkins then looked at a document she was just given. "I've just been told Miss Pugh, that the defendant will plead Guilty to all charges faced." Karlä looked at Cohen in disbelief.
Marie wasn't done yet. "I want to ask this question that I don't ask many people," she seemed to be pondering "do you have any idea what sentence you feel your ex boyfriend should serve?"
Karlä shrugged. She was very taken back. "Well Your Honour, it is ultimately your choice but I don't want a harsh sentence." Marie raised her eyebrows. "Why is that?" One final look was given to Cohen. "As...I don't want anyone to feel like Mr Carlson defined me. Any part of it. In a way...I've also gained closure in him receiving punishment so I'm not looking for anything more. Finally, I want to let go...of this, these past couple of years and my relationship with Cohen. We all need to move on and I think I can now do that. This should be a message to anyone suffering from domestic abuse that things can get better."
There wasn't a dry eye in the room. Judge Marie Hawkins gave a rare big smile and told Karlä "Well Karlä we can now let you move on. Good luck with the final and enjoy the rest of your 19th birthday. Your testimony is finally finished and you're free to leave now."
It wasn't long after Karlä left the court that she burst into tears. Not of sadness, no but of joy.